Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
chris_n

#61: Post by chris_n »

Chert wrote:I like the idea. Only if I am convinced it can be stabilized and driven at light roasts without undo bodily strain will I add one to my precious OE grinder collection.
honestly i don't think burrs this style particularly excel at light roasts. i would LOVE for OE to prove me wrong, but my fuji royal consistently tastes good but not as good as comparable flat burr (from kalita nice cut to ditting 80 to ek43)

ira
Team HB

#62: Post by ira »

The observed grind quality at middle to fine was astonishingly good. They've said that the APEX seems to have much less fines that the Fuji, possibly due to the much slower grind speed.

Ira

chris_n

#63: Post by chris_n replying to ira »

i like the sound of that! and yes, my fuji runs a bit fast as well because i am not using a step-down transformer. thanks for the reminder!

Suvartet

#64: Post by Suvartet »

Prima coffee's video on the Apex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5RVpHCL4Xc

rmongiovi

#65: Post by rmongiovi »

Interesting video. Too bad it wasn't more Apex Grinder and less talking head.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#66: Post by jbviau »

Best short Apex-related update I saw from WBC coverage:
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jesse

#67: Post by jesse »

Anyone care to take a stab at the graph data?

namelessone

#68: Post by namelessone »

It's useless without any context, what kind of brew it was used for and how they measured it.

autoexec

#69: Post by autoexec replying to namelessone »

From the caption it says grind for a V60 brew. The lack of fines is also obvious in the graph, which is what they claim in the Apex's design.

stherric

#70: Post by stherric »

namelessone wrote:It's useless without any context, what kind of brew it was used for and how they measured it.
Looks like laser diffraction as the method they used to measure. The post states it was used for a v60.