Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 54

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
iBrew

#531: Post by iBrew »

Looking forward to the fennel, it looks great. I'm always worried the auger spring is going to break on me like it has with others.

Emilio

#532: Post by Emilio »

redexjames wrote:<image>
<image>
<image>
Are Barb and Doug already sendind them?

redexjames

#533: Post by redexjames replying to Emilio »

7/6
I send mail to Barb and Doug.
And I get this today.
I come from Taiwan.

tuxxie

#534: Post by tuxxie »

I just installed the funnel (thanks, Barb :D). It seems to be easier and faster to grind than before (not that it's ever hard and slow before though). The last bean or two have some trouble getting into the burrs, a very slow back and forth paddling of the spin handle does the trick.
Ethan
LMWDP#611

instantkamera

#535: Post by instantkamera »

I've read most of the replies in here over the last few months - not all in one sitting. I'm not convinced that this grinds fine enough for the smaller/faster brews that I make. I pretty much exclusively use smaller drippers (v60-01, kalita 155, etc) with doses <15g (13g is my go-to sweet spot); is anyone in here using this on the regular for these sorts of brews?

Thanks.

iBrew

#536: Post by iBrew »

it grinds pretty fine, imo. I use a V60, 23 grams 45 second bloom and it's done at 2:30 and I'm at the 8th or 9th click. For a V60 this will grind finer than what you'll need.

instantkamera

#537: Post by instantkamera replying to iBrew »

Thanks for the reply.

If you could replicate that recipe - roughly - with a 12-13g dose and report back your findings I'd be ever so grateful. Your dose is nearly twice what I normally use. I don't really have context on how much 8-9 clicks is in terms of coarseness change (and Im assuming 0 is some limit or other - burr lock or physical setting limitation).

Yan

#538: Post by Yan replying to instantkamera »

I use v.60 01 paper in 02 dripper, 15/255gr, 3 click from finest blooming 45s, ending 2:00 - 2:10, other than less fines, uniformity grind size, the major benefit with Apex were the flow rate really fast, other hand grinder we are thinking how to increase the flow rate, Apex the other way...but there some beans with very slow drowning especially with kalia wave, V.60 I never have any problem with the flow rate

iBrew

#539: Post by iBrew »

It'll grind fine enough, the only thing is I don't know if I'd want to hand grind on it at its finest settings... I have zero issues grinding it where I do, but I remember trying to grind on the finest settings with a light roast bean and it wasn't much fun, that was also be for I bolted to the chopping block.

instantkamera

#540: Post by instantkamera »

Thanks for the replies folks. That's certainly something to think about (time to grind at finer settings) but also the dose would be lower so maybe there's some offset there.