Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 51

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#501: Post by jbviau »

iBrew wrote:I bought this grinder last night and excited to try it out. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, a top notch V60 grinder. Still can't believe I paid over $800 CDN for a hand grinder :shock: But, I guess since espresso isn't my thing, I save a lot from not going down that road. I really hope this is a noticeable step up from a Vario with steel burrs as I didn't think that was much of a step up from the Encore with the upgraded burrs.
Wade, I hope you like it. While you're waiting for delivery, you might consider shopping around for a nice chopping block or some other way of stabilizing the grinder, as that really improves the experience. Here's what I ended up doing: <post>
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

baldheadracing
Team HB

#502: Post by baldheadracing »

iBrew wrote:I bought this grinder last night and excited to try it out. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, a top notch V60 grinder. Still can't believe I paid over $800 CDN for a hand grinder :shock: But, I guess since espresso isn't my thing, I save a lot from not going down that road. I really hope this is a noticeable step up from a Vario with steel burrs as I didn't think that was much of a step up from the Encore with the upgraded burrs.
At this level, I would say 'different' is probably a better descriptor than 'better.'
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
redbone

#503: Post by redbone »

Has anyone done a comparison here or can do to another ghost burr grinder namely Fuji Royal R-220?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

rhsant

#504: Post by rhsant replying to redbone »

Interested in this as well!!!

Yan

#505: Post by Yan »

Funnel

Emilio

#506: Post by Emilio »

:shock:

Emilio

#507: Post by Emilio »

My ápex grinder has just arrived!

But unfortunately i have not being able to use It because when I opened the box I saw that it was missing "the parts bag" containing among others the handle screw.

While the seller is sorting It out (both of us are in Europe), could someone tell me the metrica and type of the handle screw? A photo would be much appreciated...

Many thanks in advance!

And in the meantime, i Will keep on grinding with my lido 2...

(Edit: sorted out. Barb told me it's a m5x25 stsndard screw)

Advertisement
dukeja

#508: Post by dukeja »

I would appreciate your update on your comparison of Apex and Lido 2. (maybe another thread). I have Lido-E and highly interested in Apex for dedicated pour-over grinder.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#509: Post by jbviau »

I could compare them as well since I have both (my Lido 2 has the earlier, more aggressive burr though). It just hasn't been a priority. What are you mostly interested in? Whether there's a taste difference, I would guess, right? Or perhaps whether or not any taste difference is big enough to justify upgrading?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

purpledad

#510: Post by purpledad »

i'm definitely interested in this as well.

is there a noticable difference in the amount of fines?
can you get similar extraction times with similar grind coarseness?
similar tasting cups of coffee?
is it worth it for someone who has a lido?
is it worth it for someone without a dedicated pour over grinder?

i'm sure other people have other questions, these are the ones on the top of my mind.