Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 50

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#491: Post by jbviau »

hankua wrote:I'm liking the funnel so far...
Me, too. Barb & Doug just handed me one at SCA, and I think they'll be available at no cost to other Apex owners as well. Installing the funnel is a really simple process; you partially disassemble using the "deep cleaning" YouTube video instructions, remove the spring, and then press the funnel in. You can see the two tabs that hold it in place in one of the pictures below. Don't forget to put the screws back in the shaft after taking the spring out!

As an aside, once the spring had been removed I noticed that my little reflective sticker was starting to come up, so I pulled it off and used Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to get rid of the adhesive residue.

Here's hoping someone enjoys the bonus shot of Scott and me with Doug in Boston holding random Apex parts (not pictured: Joanne, Barb, or Natalie)...

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Yan

#492: Post by Yan »

jbviau wrote:Me, too. Barb & Doug just handed me one at SCA, and I think they'll be available at no cost to other Apex owners as well. Installing the funnel is a really simple process; you partially disassemble using the "deep cleaning" YouTube video instructions, remove the spring, and then press the funnel in.

Here's hoping someone enjoys the bonus shot of Scott and me with Doug in Boston holding random Apex parts (not pictured: Joanne, Barb, or Natalie)...
Are the new Apex batches still using the spring auger? Or the funnel already fixed used?

hankua (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#493: Post by hankua (original poster) »

The funnel is supposed to be standard equipment, when the production parts are finished. Doug said the spring auger and funnel do not work combined.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#494: Post by jbviau »

I know there was talk, some skeptical, of slower grinding here recently. With the funnel, this is definitely possible since beans are fed into the burrs at a less aggressive rate. I can feel the difference without question. Pre-funnel, I felt I needed to be at about 120 RPM to keep up momentum, but now I can ease up without stops and starts. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm at about 90-100 RPM.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

iBrew

#495: Post by iBrew »

The Apex that ships today they don't have the auger spring and use a funnel instead? grinding light roast how long does it take you to grind around 20 grams? Is there much resistance for light roast beans?

Thinking about picking one of these up, had a Vario with steel burrs but didn't find it a big enough upgrade over the Encore with upgraded burrs, hearing how this is EK43 level so this should be the upgrade I'm looking for.

ira
Team HB

#496: Post by ira »

I find grinding 4 clicks towards fine that I get about 1 gram for 8-12 turns to start, considerably less as the grinder empties. Today I started overfilling the grinder, an extra 15 or 20 grams and grinding onto my Lunar which avoids the occasional last few beans won't grind seemingly ever. It's a very mild annoyance given the quality of the grinds but it certainly makes me want to make a variable speed motorized version.

Ira

iBrew

#497: Post by iBrew replying to ira »

How does it compare to the Mon Flat you have? very interested in this grinder since I only do V60/Chemex pour overs and I'm currently noticing a big flavor difference from my Encore with upgraded burrs to the pours at the coffee shop that I buy my coffee from(same beans) they use the EK43.

ira
Team HB

#498: Post by ira »

My Mono Flat has the Mythos burrs and it appears the Apex grinds with much fewer fines. I'd been steeping for 3 minutes with the Flat and I'm doing 5 minutes with the Apex and the coffee seems to be better. At one point I had tried steeping with half the water, draining and then adding the second half for the last minute and a half, but that seems to clog the filter and the drawdown for the second half was 2 minutes of so. I've not tried that with the Apex but it's drawdown is 1/2 the time it takes for the Flat. I did grind much finer with the Flat so it might not be a fair comparison. I should try the Bunzilla again as a comparison, I've not used it since the Flat showed up.

Sorry I'm not more helpful, but certainly looking at the grounds I would assume the Apex would be better.

Ira

Yan

#499: Post by Yan »

Anyone try to repaint the outer body with other color? White like EK43 white edition maybe looks interesting.... :D

iBrew

#500: Post by iBrew »

I bought this grinder last night and excited to try it out. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, a top notch V60 grinder. Still can't believe I paid over $800 CDN for a hand grinder :shock: But, I guess since espresso isn't my thing, I save a lot from not going down that road. I really hope this is a noticeable step up from a Vario with steel burrs as I didn't think that was much of a step up from the Encore with the upgraded burrs.