Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 45

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#441: Post by jbviau »

Yan wrote:After the oil drops the high pitch sound were fixed...
What kind of oil did you use? I think I'll try this as well to address my little squeak. Thanks for the helpful post, btw! The relevant OE video is this one (at 10:18).
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

bytheway

#442: Post by bytheway »

jbviau wrote:What kind of oil did you use? I think I'll try this as well to address my little squeak. Thanks for the helpful post, btw! The relevant OE video is this one (at 10:18).
I used mineral oil but the squeak didn't go away...I asked Barb and she said I needed grease there, not oil (recommending oil in the video at 10:18 was apparently incorrect). Once I put grease there, the problem went away. They made this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQo4YJCAkj0 to tell you where to put the grease and to address the last video...it tells you about what grease to use.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#443: Post by jbviau »

Thanks. Did you do a full tear-down to add grease to that needle bearing? I was hoping to avoid that.

bytheway

#444: Post by bytheway replying to jbviau »

No, once you get to the tensioning spring and take that off the needle bearing can be greased. It's only slightly further than the tear-down for deep cleaning, and no realignment of the burrs is necessary.

Yan

#445: Post by Yan »

jbviau wrote:What kind of oil did you use? I think I'll try this as well to address my little squeak. Thanks for the helpful post, btw! The relevant OE video is this one (at 10:18).
I use the spray based Silicon oil, I will take a photo later when I am at home, the are 2 kinds sound from the needle bearing which the more higher pitches can be fixed with silicon oil based on my experience and the other sound the lower pitches normally it was boulders or bigger chunk of coffee I fixed with put the burr cassette upside down and give several taps and shakes normally several boulders wil be drop, after that every things will be quiet and smooth, for me only 2 things I do for monthly maintenance and it always fixed the sound issue.

Alfter 1 weeks normally the lower pitches will be coming again but we can not control / predict the boulders stuck...it will happen sooner or later, the higher pitch based on experience after I am using the new spray already 3 months I never heard anymore but regularly I spray monthly when in maintenance....

Yan

#446: Post by Yan »

I am using this one, WD-40 Silicone, never had high pitch sound anymore just regularly spray at monthly deep cleaning maintenance, for lower pitch sound it was normal because boulders were stuck between burr, wheen doing deep cleaning put burr chassis upside down open the burr cover shakes and several knock to the body chassis, some boulders will be drop, spin the burr several time to check the lower sound if it is already gone put everything back and its done.

hankua (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#447: Post by hankua (original poster) »

I've got some good news for Apex early adoptors!

There is a factory funnel mod under development, and the final design has been selected. The mod fits in the hopper and covers the two screws and adjacent slots. At present it's going from 3-D design stage to pre-production planning work. No specific completion date yet as there could be a snag in the process somewhere; should be a matter of months if all goes well. The funnel mod eliminates the need for a spring as the beans feed by gravity. First results are positive however it has not been extensively field tested.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#448: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Thanks. I figured that might be what they were teasing on Instagram recently. If it works, great.

hankua (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#449: Post by hankua (original poster) »

And Barb's "Flat Pack" travel dripper set.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#450: Post by jbviau »

Yan wrote:I am using this one, WD-40 Silicone...
Thanks. So it doesn't smell? I might pick something like this up today on the way home.