Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 43

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Richard

Postby Richard » Feb 20, 2019, 9:31 am

dale_cooper wrote:Mirrors what you saw meaning, you don't find it necessary to attach the apex to a board, and can exert enough pressure holding it down to keep it still?

Correct.
Richard J. Wyble

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » replying to Richard » Feb 20, 2019, 9:44 am

Amazing... almost as good as this v60 kenyan I just brewed (although I wish it was a george howell mamuto; man I need to try that once and for all) Usability nits aside, if this thing can keep producing great cups, I'll accept it :)

It's fascinating to taste the difference when grounds are clean and fines or odd particles are minimized. It's like oh, so when those negative note contributors are removed, sweetness, fruit, florals can more easily prevail.

Emilio

Postby Emilio » replying to dale_cooper » Feb 20, 2019, 11:37 am

With comments like this one, I won't be able to resist buying one apex.

Usability is something to take into account while living in a small motorhome with no electricity. But hearing again and again about such "great cups"...

Yan

Postby Yan » Feb 20, 2019, 9:06 pm

dale_cooper wrote:I'm sorry if I'm coming across as negative; this type of thing just makes me upset where I have to immediately modify a product I just bought, so that I can use it - seemingly in the nature of the target audience who would be buying it. If I'm spending $500 on a dedicated brew grinder, I shouldn't need to do that.... period.

As and early adopter my suggestion is learning the Magic Words.... I don't care...I don't care & I don't care...

If you find cranking the paddle for light roasting beans was very hard... take a deep breath and start to thinking in your mind the Magic Words...
If you find some retention's ... take a deep breath and start to thinking in your mind the Magic Words...
if you find some beans get stuck and keep rotating with the burr at the last 1-3 beans...take a deep breath and start to thinking in your mind the Magic Words...
After 3-5 kilograms without thinking, my mind automatically repeating the Magic Words....

But ... every time I sip the coffee in cups... I do care about the taste... and it taste very-very good.... :D

Happy APEXing....

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » Feb 20, 2019, 10:07 pm

lol - with the apex attached to a board, I've found it quite enjoyable to use today - its now less effort than my LIDO ET. I actually enjoy trying to keep a smooth rhythm. Yes, I'm noticing some retention but I'm not letting that bother me. I'll try to brush it out after each session (I also noticed fines collect on the inside of the chute), but I"m not going to go crazy about perfect retention. I also think I may need to weigh after grinding, just to make sure I'm brewing the expected ratio.

I think I actually need to grind finer on these light kenyan beans I'm brewing - its definitely amazing how in the very sip I can immediately tell the lack of fines. THAT part is very satisfying.

tuxxie

Postby tuxxie » Feb 21, 2019, 5:14 am

Denis wrote:Can you post a picture with what you consider light-medium? or just a picture with the beans you are working now.

I don't know if this helps, but here you go:
Ethiopia Peaberry "Purple" medium roast.

What I'm drinking now. Exact colour production is something very hard to do. I'll get something lighter roast and post another picture next time.
Ethan
LMWDP#611

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » Feb 21, 2019, 11:35 am

Let's not play the game of posting pictures of beans to determine roast level - we should all know that doesn't work. I can make a dark roast look light depending upon lighting and camera.

I'm an active, athletic man and it was simply not possible to hold down the apex with the beans I'm using. If you can do it, more power to you, but I suspect we're using different beans. These same beans were not difficult to grind in my LIDO ET, at the same particle size.

Denis

Postby Denis » Feb 21, 2019, 11:38 am

I have a bean picture fetish. 8)

HB
Admin

Postby HB » Feb 21, 2019, 1:30 pm

dale_cooper wrote:Let's not play the game of posting pictures of beans to determine roast level - we should all know that doesn't work.

There's many things one should do, e.g., not imply others are misinformed because they don't do as you do. This thread is paused for the day; contributors are invited to review the site's Guidelines for productive online discussion for other do's and don'ts.
Dan Kehn

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » Feb 22, 2019, 4:38 pm

Another test - Ground up a recent roast of an Ethiopian bean from Royal which is a really nice coffee.... anyways, ground it relatively coarse for use in my espro press for midafternoon brewing at work using whatever hot water we have here....

One of the best espro's I've made at work. The clarity and lack of negative notes is just amazing.

The Apex is seriously LEGIT as far as cup quality.