Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 42

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dale_cooper

#411: Post by dale_cooper »

naked-portafilter wrote:I have also an HG1. Bought in 2013. The Apex isn't more difficult to use.
You have to secure the hg1 to a board in order to use it with lighter roasts? There's no way I can use the apex, as intended, with smooth even rotations... in stock form.

AMac

#412: Post by AMac replying to dale_cooper »

Some people have to, especially for light roasts: HG-1 non-slip feet: Try Sorbothane pads

For my subjectively medium to medium/dark roasts, it takes some effort to keep it in place but I can grind in stock form. To lessen the effort, I am planning on securing it to a board that I can clamp to my countertop though.

Advertisement
dale_cooper

#413: Post by dale_cooper replying to AMac »

Hmm, at first I thought they were the same as the gel sticky pads that come with the apex. My light roasts laughed at those gel pads. Those pads seem really sticky though, could be a viable option for us, although I think the greater stability achieved from a board is nice.

This goes back to my point. I would find it hard to imagine people spending $500 on a hand grinder that are not in the pursuit of extracting clean, juicy, fruity cups, which generally are more associated with light roasts. That's why its a bit disingenuous in the OE videos, where Doug is grinding fairly easy. The video in my kitchen, on my countertop, would've been quite hilarious. Especially because my counter height is a standard counter height, not the lower table which Doug is using the product on, which allows you to have a straight arm and maximize force on the grinder. Whereas, my arm was using weak muscles and not the frame of an extended arm.

So I just sloppily screwed the apex to my wooden cutting board. Can confirm, yeah now this feels like a complete product. NIGHT AND DAY difference in effort. I believe I need to learn the "reverse" rotation and then transition to proper speed going forward whenever I get stuck. That said, the grinder 100% should have a manufactured base, which it screws to, or at the very least an option to purchase it from OE.

On the plus side, the grind uniformity and lack of fines is seriously blowing my mind when I'm going through these test batches.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as negative; this type of thing just makes me upset where I have to immediately modify a product I just bought, so that I can use it - seemingly in the nature of the target audience who would be buying it. If I'm spending $500 on a dedicated brew grinder, I shouldn't need to do that.... period.

AMac

#414: Post by AMac »

dale_cooper wrote:Yeah that's different - those are similar to the gel sticky pads that come with the apex. My light roasts laughed at those gel pads.
Second post in that thread:
"I have to add that for ultra light roasts, just anti slip pads aren't enough. I actually need to clamp it to the countertop"

But I get what you mean. I don't think you're going to find a consensus on what kind of base should be sold with the Apex. Some people will be willing to screw it into a counter but some will want to leave it stock for portability.

dale_cooper

#415: Post by dale_cooper replying to AMac »

Yeah, apologies, I read the thread more after I posted (hence my now edited commentary). However, my roasts aren't even super light - they have 2 minutes of development, a colombian and PNG. Regarding portability, thats a valid point, although its a HEAVY grinder, so I'm not sure the addition of a board is that big of a deal. Especially if it could be easily screwed or socketed in.

I just want people who may be reading this thread, to know what they're getting into. Throughout my coffee journey of various gear, roasting machines, etc - there's a surprisingly high tolerance for product attributes that are really poor from a usability perspective. I know the apex is a niche product, but still.

Richard

#416: Post by Richard »

dale_cooper wrote:. . . I would find it hard to imagine people spending $500 on a hand grinder that are not in the pursuit of extracting clean, juicy, fruity cups, which generally are more associated with light roasts. That's why its a bit disingenuous in the OE videos, where Doug is grinding fairly easy.
Different folks work differently. I personally don't find anything misleading in the OE videos because my experience (with a standard-height counter top) pretty much mirrors what I saw there. And I habitually drink very light-roasted coffees, nearly all from George Howell.
-- Richard

dale_cooper

#417: Post by dale_cooper replying to Richard »

Mirrors what you saw meaning, you don't find it necessary to attach the apex to a board, and can exert enough pressure holding it down to keep it still?

For what it's worth, in the videos he mentions dark roast, in the manual they mention medium/dark - and say if you roast light, you probably want to attach it. So it's not like they're lying... I'm trying to speak to who I would venture to be the majority of people using this: individuals consuming light roasts. I could be way off but it doesn't seem necessary to have such grinder quality to properly extract darker roasts.

SO, then why not show the grinder in operation using a light roast? ....attached, and not attached to the board.

Advertisement
tuxxie

#418: Post by tuxxie »

Let me chime in a little:

I mainly use light or medium light roast on the Apex. I haven't need to bolt it down nor use the sticky pads. I use my left hand to hold the Apex. YMMV, of course, depending on your physical condition / ability.

The metal sheet near the burr has completely peeled off. I'm not sure what adhesive / glue I should use to stick it back. I cleaned the residue glue on the grinder. I feel that it's easier to feed the beans to the burr without the metal sheet - or maybe I'm imagining things.
Ethan
LMWDP#611

Denis

#419: Post by Denis »

Can you post a picture with what you consider light-medium? or just a picture with the beans you are working now.

Richard

#420: Post by Richard »

dale_cooper wrote:Mirrors what you saw meaning, you don't find it necessary to attach the apex to a board, and can exert enough pressure holding it down to keep it still?
Correct.
-- Richard