Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 40

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Denis

Postby Denis » Feb 16, 2019, 1:48 pm

My concern is that if the grinder does small rounded-angular particles the water won't penetrate to extract more even/in the center.

I asked about the TDS/EY because this you can measure and it is objective rather than saying your personal taste experience.

For eg maybe someone has a good brew grinder (ek43/eg-1/bun) and at the same time has the Apex. I just wanted to know if you get ~ approx the same EY%. Of course there are differences because of the time/the grind size/ but I don't want to get 17-19% EY instead of 22-24%.

The grinder in Eu is not as cheap as in the US, so better safe than sorry.

Power Freak

Postby Power Freak » replying to Denis » Feb 16, 2019, 5:12 pm

You can comfortably hit 24% with a cheap ceramic burr grinder like a porlex. I really think you're overthinking it.

Rytopa

Postby Rytopa » Feb 16, 2019, 9:18 pm

Pour over are notoriously known to have the widest range of variability due to human input . Should I bloom, pulse, spin, agitate, metal or plastic, dosage, height of pour, temperature, etc etc all affect ey tremendously. If highest ey is what you are after get a de1 + and wait for the brew portafilter attachment. SR has been playing with it and getting 25% ey with the forte

mikemaddux

Postby mikemaddux » replying to Rytopa » Feb 16, 2019, 10:34 pm

I you want to be scientific I would think you'd want to use a very well defined and repeatable steep-and-release method.

Neil.Pryde

Postby Neil.Pryde » Feb 17, 2019, 5:05 am

Noise....in relation to the timeframe,20g grinding with EK is more pleasant than with Apex.

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » Feb 18, 2019, 5:23 pm

The APEX has arrived. 15 minute impressions....

Surprisingly difficult grinding effort. Maybe this was already stated in this thread but I'm assuming I should completely skip all instructions of trying to use the grinder without a base, on my granite counter, even with the supplied 6 sticky gel pads. Reason I state that is because even with the sticky feet, and a setting in the middle or on the fine side of middle, its very difficult to keep stable. There were times where even turning counter clockwise was difficult.

Who is the target end user for this? I'm assuming it would be a complete coffee nerd who is trying to extract flavors from LIGHT roasts. Thus, I now understand the pictures in this thread which show people vice clamping the grinder down to the counter - which sorry, but that's rather absurd.

Onto the major plus side and why you would buy this >>>> The grind uniformity and lack of fines appears to be unbelievably good - like wow.

It appears that the apex is indeed capable of delivering spectacular grinds, but to operate the grinder and achieve that is a bit kludgy to say the least (for light roasts). Thus its an incomplete product the way it ships. Yes I'm using light roasts, but again - who is spending $500 on a hand grinder and grinding dark roasts. OE should honestly create a weighted base that they ship with the grinder.

I'll search this thread but

1. Roughly, what grind settings are you all using for a standard v60 or similar pour over cone? By the way, really seems like they should've put a scale to track grind setting more easily.
2. Tips on what kind of base? edit: I'll just buy the heaviest cutting board I can find at IKEA :) Looks like they make a black one which is decently heavy and could match the APEX!

Thanks!

Yan

Postby Yan » replying to dale_cooper » Feb 18, 2019, 9:39 pm

1. Between 2 to 4 from finest settings, I use V.60 and kalita wave back and forth, sometimes use the finest setting for aeropress, the result with aeropress very clean looks and taste, normally with my Lido 3 the yields looks very cloudy not as clear with APEX.

Those extra effort in grinding process easily gone with the result in the cup... :D

baldheadracing

Postby baldheadracing » Feb 18, 2019, 9:43 pm

Dupe

wsfarrell

Postby wsfarrell » Feb 18, 2019, 9:53 pm

dale_cooper wrote:The APEX has arrived. 15 minute impressions....

Surprisingly difficult grinding effort. Maybe this was already stated in this thread but I'm assuming I should completely skip all instructions of trying to use the grinder without a base, on my granite counter, even with the supplied 6 sticky gel pads. Reason I state that is because even with the sticky feet, and a setting in the middle or on the fine side of middle, its very difficult to keep stable. There were times where even turning counter clockwise was difficult.

Who is the target end user for this? I'm assuming it would be a complete coffee nerd who is trying to extract flavors from LIGHT roasts. Thus, I now understand the pictures in this thread which show people vice clamping the grinder down to the counter - which sorry, but that's rather absurd.

Onto the major plus side and why you would buy this >>>> The grind uniformity and lack of fines appears to be unbelievably good - like wow.

It appears that the apex is indeed capable of delivering spectacular grinds, but to operate the grinder and achieve that is a bit kludgy to say the least (for light roasts). Thus its an incomplete product the way it ships. Yes I'm using light roasts, but again - who is spending $500 on a hand grinder and grinding dark roasts. OE should honestly create a weighted base that they ship with the grinder.

I'll search this thread but

1. Roughly, what grind settings are you all using for a standard v60 or similar pour over cone? By the way, really seems like they should've put a scale to track grind setting more easily.
2. Tips on what kind of base? edit: I'll just buy the heaviest cutting board I can find at IKEA :) Looks like they make a black one which is decently heavy and could match the APEX!

Thanks!

You're right about the effort; it's reminiscent of the Pharos. I do 1-2 clicks on the fine side of center, and decided after a week or so of start/stop grinding to bolt it to the table. Much better. It does make good coffee: I used a steel-burred Vario for several years, and the Apex was a noticeable improvement. Confirming it was not my imagination, the helical auger spring broke on my Apex so I had to go back to the Vario. Noticeable decline in flavor. OE is sending a new spring, so I'll have another chance to confirm my observations. I really hope the spring isn't a weak point in the grinder.

Denis

Postby Denis » Feb 19, 2019, 2:10 am

Can someone tell me how long does it take to grind 15-20g of coffee? From start to finish, with all the beans grinded (the last 3-4 beans that don't want to enter the burrs included).