Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 38

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Prosounds

Postby Prosounds » Jan 27, 2019, 9:16 pm

Just checking in here to see how people are enjoying this grinder...

I'm loving mine. I'm especially curious to see what people think vs. EK43 or other high-end grinders.

day

Postby day » Jan 28, 2019, 12:48 am

cameron84 wrote:<video>

Not the greatest video sorry. I think you can tell the base is stable but the chassis moves.

Yes. I have.

All hex bolts are tight.

Getting the same flex in the body with light and very dark roasts.

I'm not seeing "flex" it just looks like wiggling to me. The whole machine is wiggling a touch, maybe a washer to make a better contact with your bolts. Also, on many occasions the towel is obviously jerking and boopping alongside it, so it appears to be movement from both the grinder body wiggling and the entire base lifting/wiggling, but definitely not the shaft "bending" or flexing.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

thm655321

Postby thm655321 » Jan 28, 2019, 2:19 am

Anyone have a link for where I can buy the "gecko" stick on feet that you see in the Apex youtube video?

Thanks.

naked-portafilter
Sponsor

Postby naked-portafilter » Jan 28, 2019, 2:36 pm

Prosounds wrote:Just checking in here to see how people are enjoying this grinder...

I'm loving mine. I'm especially curious to see what people think vs. EK43 or other high-end grinders.

I gave it for testing to a local caffe with an EK (ssp burrs). Looking forward...

bpchia

Postby bpchia » replying to naked-portafilter » Jan 31, 2019, 10:39 am

Very interested in what they think...I didn't think the EK43 was either better or worse once I dialled both in, hence why I sold the EK43 to free up some cash!

filtus

Postby filtus » Feb 02, 2019, 2:37 am

Does someone face the same problem, that the last 2-3 beans don't want to get into the grind chamber? I'm at setting +3 from the finest setting.

Prosounds

Postby Prosounds » Feb 02, 2019, 4:20 am

I definitely have to push the last bean or two into the chamber after grinding. and grind a little more. Not a big deal imo. A bigger deal is after I grind, I set those aside and tap/brush out the left over grinds from inside the chute... which is a bit more of an issue imo.

Power Freak

Postby Power Freak » Feb 02, 2019, 4:39 am

filtus wrote:Does someone face the same problem, that the last 2-3 beans don't want to get into the grind chamber? I'm at setting +3 from the finest setting.

Try opening the burrs to a coarse setting (past centre) spin the arm slowly until you feel the bean engage (you'll know when you feel it) and then move your setting back to normal and continue grinding. That has seemed to work for me but I only have that issue on certain beans not all the time, I assume its down to the shape/size.

filtus

Postby filtus » Feb 02, 2019, 5:27 am

Prosounds wrote:I definitely have to push the last bean or two into the chamber after grinding. and grind a little more. Not a big deal imo. A bigger deal is after I grind, I set those aside and tap/brush out the left over grinds from inside the chute... which is a bit more of an issue imo.

Yes, I've realised this as well. But I take it as an included sieve. As there are almost only the fines. I end up with max 1g retention...

baldheadracing

Postby baldheadracing » Feb 09, 2019, 4:31 pm

FYI, the Apex is now available for order with shipping from Montana at: http://www.oehandgrinders.com/Apex-Manu ... p_119.html

For US residents, shipping from Montana is lower than from Taiwan, e.g., UPS ground to upstate NY is $35.
For Canadians, USPS Priority mail is $91, EMS is $130. I'm glad that I didn't wait 8).
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann