Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 37

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#361: Post by jbviau »

Yup, I brush and also lift the cutting board my Apex is attached to and then let it drop gently onto the counter from maybe 1 cm up a few times to dislodge whatever might be packed in above the chute.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

cameron84

#362: Post by cameron84 »

I seem to lose a lot of grinding effort due to the chassis of the Apex "flexing" while grinding. Anybody else experience this? I have it screwed down to a heavy chopping board that doesn't move during grinding, however the chassis is visibly moving.

Advertisement
Richard

#363: Post by Richard replying to cameron84 »

No, I am not observing that. It is rigid and stable. OTOH, I do not have it screwed down; I press down on the top of it, following Doug's video instructions, and it seems to me that would stablize any flex in the frame.

Have you contacted OE with your question? And if not, why not? The vendor should be the first place to lodge questions about a brand-new item.
-- Richard

Yan

#364: Post by Yan »

cameron84 wrote:I seem to lose a lot of grinding effort due to the chassis of the Apex "flexing" while grinding. Anybody else experience this? I have it screwed down to a heavy chopping board that doesn't move during grinding, however the chassis is visibly moving.
Do you have any video about the flexing chassis...a bit curious to see it's a very strong chassis maybe yo need to tighten the existing Hex screw.
My copping board not thick enough but I put an extra clamp... very steady now...

IMAWriter

#365: Post by IMAWriter »

cameron84 wrote:I seem to lose a lot of grinding effort due to the chassis of the Apex "flexing" while grinding. Anybody else experience this? I have it screwed down to a heavy chopping board that doesn't move during grinding, however the chassis is visibly moving.
Yes, I think a video would be useful.

cameron84

#366: Post by cameron84 »

Not the greatest video sorry. I think you can tell the base is stable but the chassis moves.
Richard wrote:...Have you contacted OE with your question? And if not, why not? The vendor should be the first place to lodge questions about a brand-new item.
Yes. I have.
Yan wrote:...maybe yo need to tighten the existing Hex screw...
All hex bolts are tight.

Getting the same flex in the body with light and very dark roasts.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#367: Post by jbviau »

I haven't noticed flex like that with mine (just checked again to be sure). I do see what you mean, but I noticed also that the base (or base+board) seems to be moving a bit as well, especially toward the beginning of your clip. True?
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Advertisement
cameron84

#368: Post by cameron84 »

Yes there was some movement.

Overall it's not really an issue, just not something I expected from a fairly expensive hand grinder. I get tasty cups of coffee from it. Was just seeing if anyone else experienced it.

Yan

#369: Post by Yan replying to cameron84 »

Last weekend I do 1 day marathon grind 3 kg Medium to Dark beans... and I don't see any flexing issue with my APEX only screeching sound and easily fixed with siliconee oil....
lt was really a good workout... :D

Prosounds

#370: Post by Prosounds »

Just checking in here to see how people are enjoying this grinder...

I'm loving mine. I'm especially curious to see what people think vs. EK43 or other high-end grinders.