Orphan Espresso Apex Grinder - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
CwD

#21: Post by CwD »

coochchilli wrote:Which grinder do you have? I was just reading a thread on the fuji r220 and it sounded like it was quite well suited to pourovers
Jericho J-500, which I believe to be a rebadged Fuji Royal R-440.

It is quite well suited for pourovers, I was just saying it doesn't work great for especially small pourovers. Anything in the normal pourover range it works pretty well.

coochchilli

#22: Post by coochchilli replying to CwD »

Ah I understand. Thats good to hear. Hopefully the Apex lives up to that standard

Stanic

#23: Post by Stanic »

hankua (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by hankua (original poster) »

I checked with my HB friend today about our visit to OE and we thought the Apex is supposed to have 5 roller bearings. Same knob as the Pharos and black finish.

TomC
Team HB

#25: Post by TomC »

I'm stoked to see this grinder hit the market, it should hit most home brewers looking for non-espresso preparation better than other burr types. My only question is if retention will be an issue with a hand cranked rpm grinder with these kind of burrs? If I could reliably put 30g in and get 30g out for a small batch brew, I'd be pretty stoked.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

OldNuc

#26: Post by OldNuc »

The only retention in my 80+ year old motor drive ghost burr grinder is in the grind chamber and outlet chute, the burrs stay clear. The low RPM should markedly reduce the static induced retention though. The motor is direct drive at 1800 RPM. It will run through 5lb of coffee in a very short time though.

Unrooted

#27: Post by Unrooted »

Any updates to when the Apex may be available to customers? Will it be a cheaper option than buying a Fuji Royale R-220?

maxbmello

#28: Post by maxbmello »

OE just posted this on twitter - interesting looking hand grinder! Excited to see where this falls price and performance wise.

Unrooted

#29: Post by Unrooted »

maxbmello wrote:OE just posted this on twitter - interesting looking hand grinder! Excited to see where this falls price and performance wise.
I'm intrigued!

Anyone want to postulate on burr diameter and whether it will be useable without the base? I take my Lido anytime I go on a trip, which typically means sleeping in the back of my truck, not that the base would be impossible to take, it just seems like grinding in the wind, into a cup might make a mess.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#30: Post by jbviau »

Looking at this, I find it hard to imagine grinding while facing it; I'd want to turn it 90 degrees CCW so that the handle would be on my right. Yes, I'm already thinking about where to put it on my counter...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias