Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Acavia

#91: Post by Acavia »

Legend_217 wrote:Maybe I will finally can preorder P64 MP since they're now open to US market.
Prima is no longer controlling it in the USA?

bonjing

#92: Post by bonjing replying to Acavia »

Wow, just checked and the shipping cost is no longer $1,000,000.00 :shock:

p4lxrich

#93: Post by p4lxrich »

Yep it's good that usa people can order straight for. Option o now and have a rough date. Instead of praying for prima and get lucky.

Sp0ke

#94: Post by Sp0ke »

EvanOz85 wrote:Lol..what? Where did you hear that?
That with MP you lose texture ?

Sp0ke

#95: Post by Sp0ke »

Legend_217 wrote:Depend on coffee but light roasted coffee like Kenya on MP has no texture at all but clarity is second to none. I kind of miss my Monolith Max sometimes. So it's best of both world if you can afford to have both conical and flat grinders on the counter. Maybe I will finally can preorder P64 MP since they're now open to US market.
I'm not willing to sell my Niche , will keep it for a couple coffees i enjoy brazil origin. And i'm looking for P64 as well , i'm between mizen and MP.
malling wrote:You can pull other then turbo on MP, I think you refer to Brew/UM1 not MP/UM2, the brew did lack the ability to stop the flow enough but It still had some body.

It's a lot about clarity but it's not that "one dimensional" it's not 98mm Brew we are talking about here, or the 98mm LU/ULF that are also more down that road.

You don't find 64mm burrs with that sort of clarity and cup presentation where it basically can only do turbo or very long pulls, that's a 98mm burr thing.

You can pull normal ratios on basically most 64mm burrs, but some have more focus on clarity others more blended and others somewhere in between the two.
No no , i've read that MP give you the best clarity in the cup , but it lacks the texture of a traditional coffee. and because i used to drink turbo shots , they were missing the texture of a traditional coffee as well , that's the comparison. I just need a burr with the same texture i get from Niche but with a lot of clarity. Maybe Mizen ? Or the texture of MP is about the same as the Niche ?

malling

#96: Post by malling »

Sp0ke wrote:I'm not willing to sell my Niche , will keep it for a couple coffees i enjoy brazil origin. And i'm looking for P64 as well , i'm between mizen and MP.

No no , i've read that MP give you the best clarity in the cup , but it lacks the texture of a traditional coffee. and because i used to drink turbo shots , they were missing the texture of a traditional coffee as well , that's the comparison. I just need a burr with the same texture i get from Niche but with a lot of clarity. Maybe Mizen ? Or the texture of MP is about the same as the Niche ?
If you toss a light roast through any burr it will never have the texture of a traditional coffee no matter what you do. It's not just burrs that impact mouthfeel the choice of coffee dos as well, even water will influence it, how you profile determines how the mouthfeel will be as well.

It's not as simple as saying MP = watery.

A cast burrs aren't doing what a Conical do, it's still cleaner and texture isn't a 1:1, the only ones that give conical texture are conical but even how that performa depends on coffee and how you brew it, it's just not variables we can take out of the equation.

Sp0ke

#97: Post by Sp0ke »

Oh i see. Yeah sorry , havent used any of these burr sets , so cant imagine exactly what less texture would mean. Maybe i'd go for MP or Mizen then , since what i', looking for is clarity.

EvanOz85

#98: Post by EvanOz85 »

Sp0ke wrote:That with MP you lose texture ?
No, that there is "zero body and zero texture". Simply not true, but it looks like malling explained it all pretty well.

iyayy

#99: Post by iyayy »

Sp0ke wrote:Oh i see. Yeah sorry , havent used any of these burr sets , so cant imagine exactly what less texture would mean. Maybe i'd go for MP or Mizen then , since what i', looking for is clarity.
consider low fat milk. it can be rich in taste, but at same time its always more diluted in taste and feel in the mouth than any full cream or powder milk.

probably as close as i can think of to describe how less textural / thin mouthfeel MP is.
again the taste will still depends on how rich the beans is, and flavor can be quite intense depends on beans, ratio, profile.

cast will be more of full cream milk, mizen likely similar.

conicals will be like super thick powder milk, very sticky in the mouth. hu maybe or should be closer to this.

driftcafe

#100: Post by driftcafe »

I'm torn between the SSP HU and the Mizen burrs. A majority of the time I enjoy traditional style espresso with good texture and mouthfeel. Guatemalan, Brazilian, nutty, chocolatey... but I also like to rotate to more fruity Ethiopian, Kenyans. I currently have a Baratza Vario so I'm sure that either one will be a massive difference from what I'm used to but just wondering if anyone has been able to directly compare the HU and the Mizen in the P64?