Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
p4lxrich

#81: Post by p4lxrich »

Edit. For usa folks. It looks like you can directly order from option o and bypass this waiting game from prima.

JohnGalt1

#82: Post by JohnGalt1 »

Anyone else received these and used them enough to give opinions/review?

Sp0ke

#83: Post by Sp0ke »

Currently using a Niche Zero and i'd like to buy a p64 but cant decide which burrs. What i want is both clarity and body, should i go for hu , mizen or mp ? I drink espresso only light/medium and rarely dark roast

p4lxrich

#84: Post by p4lxrich replying to Sp0ke »

I don't have mizen. But I have ssp mp, Hu, and csv2. Also doing mostly medium and light roast. Mp I like for a good balance of clarity and body. It's closer to clarity and I like it more for filter. Csv2 I also like for the good balance of clarity and body but I like it more for espresso. Those are the two I go back and forth it. I switch to hu when I start doing more milk base drinks.

BananaApple

#85: Post by BananaApple »

p4lxrich wrote:I don't have mizen. But I have ssp mp, Hu, and csv2. Also doing mostly medium and light roast. Mp I like for a good balance of clarity and body. It's closer to clarity and I like it more for filter. Csv2 I also like for the good balance of clarity and body but I like it more for espresso. Those are the two I go back and forth it. I switch to hu when I start doing more milk base drinks.
From my experience, the MPs are super thin. I felt like it was super clear but also super acidic (works with some coffees)
With Casts, there was a really well balanced cup, but definitely felt like higher body and sweetness than clarity (but comparing to a Niche, was much clearer).
Also the Gorilla Gear burrs I tried were able to get some sweetness (but they also only fit in my DF64 so kinda limited to the 1400 RPM from that grinder)

Not sure if this kinda matches with most people but definitely never felt like the MPs felt balanced (I've heard they're even clearer than any 98mm burrs)

Sp0ke

#86: Post by Sp0ke »

Thank you guys! So I'm not willing to sell my Niche , because my friend drink a lot of Brazil (chocolate , nuts etc) , so Niche may be very good for it. And i'd like to get something with a lot better clarity but no to miss the texture also , because ive heard and read that MPs make modern coffee , like no body/texture at all, like turbo shots.
So can that clarity of MP , have a negative impact ?

BananaApple

#87: Post by BananaApple »

Sp0ke wrote:Thank you guys! So I'm not willing to sell my Niche , because my friend drink a lot of Brazil (chocolate , nuts etc) , so Niche may be very good for it. And i'd like to get something with a lot better clarity but no to miss the texture also , because ive heard and read that MPs make modern coffee , like no body/texture at all, like turbo shots.
Most 64mm flats will actually give you higher clarity and texture than the Niche (I think the only one that doesn't really is the MP burrs).
I think the major difference is the amount of (perceptive) sweetness/clarity from each burr (If you're comparing Mazzer, SSP, GG, and even ItalMil)

EvanOz85

#88: Post by EvanOz85 »

Sp0ke wrote: like no body/texture at all, like turbo shots.
Lol..what? Where did you hear that?

Legend_217

#89: Post by Legend_217 »

Depend on coffee but light roasted coffee like Kenya on MP has no texture at all but clarity is second to none. I kind of miss my Monolith Max sometimes. So it's best of both world if you can afford to have both conical and flat grinders on the counter. Maybe I will finally can preorder P64 MP since they're now open to US market.

malling

#90: Post by malling »

Sp0ke wrote:Thank you guys! So I'm not willing to sell my Niche , because my friend drink a lot of Brazil (chocolate , nuts etc) , so Niche may be very good for it. And i'd like to get something with a lot better clarity but no to miss the texture also , because ive heard and read that MPs make modern coffee , like no body/texture at all, like turbo shots.
You can pull other then turbo on MP, I think you refer to Brew/UM1 not MP/UM2, the brew did lack the ability to stop the flow enough but It still had some body.

It's a lot about clarity but it's not that "one dimensional" it's not 98mm Brew we are talking about here, or the 98mm LU/ULF that are also more down that road.

You don't find 64mm burrs with that sort of clarity and cup presentation where it basically can only do turbo or very long pulls, that's a 98mm burr thing.

You can pull normal ratios on basically most 64mm burrs, but some have more focus on clarity others more blended and others somewhere in between the two.