Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 49

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
erik82

#481: Post by erik82 »

mbbrew wrote:Which papers are you using that are reducing flow? Every paper I've tried has substantially sped up flow and reduced pressure. I haven't tried the high resistance lab filters that are designed to slow down the shot though.
With cutting Aeropress filters and the Sworksdesign I needed to grind a lot coarser. I've heard other indeed say they needed to grind finer.

mbbrew

#482: Post by mbbrew replying to erik82 »

The aeropress filters even at filter grind sizes are extremely prone to clogging. That is likely why, Chemex, Hario, Kono, and Cafec filters all increased flow substantially even at very small grind sizes.

erik82

#483: Post by erik82 »

Good to know. Then the sworksdesign should be kind of the same paper as the aeropress filter.

Sp0ke

#484: Post by Sp0ke »

Changed the burrs again. My P64 came with Mizen burrs , then changed them with the MP and now I put Mizen back in. I'm confused because I used to gring with mizen at 1 and sometimes at 1.1 , with MP was grinding at 1 and 1.3 and now in order to aim for a turbo shot 15 sec 1:3 I have to set mizen to 1.4-1.5 , isn't that weird ?

I recalibrate and set the zero point back to 0.

Jeff
Team HB

#485: Post by Jeff »

Not strange at all. Different burrs, different grind results, potentially different thickness, all are going to change the number on the dial for a given dial-in.

ginowan

#486: Post by ginowan »

Hi All,

New member here. Got my P64 w/ Mizen for xmas and thought I'd share my stats as well as seek feedback on my journey.

Before this I was mainly a drip and pour over guy using the Encore, Moccamaster, and sometimes the bluebottle dripper.
Our "house" beans are the Kirkland Organic Ethiopia Light Roast from Costco (#1217294 available online only). It has been very good in our drip machine.

Now that I have more serious gear, dialing in and working out any consistency issues, I am working my way thru what I believe now to be mediocre Costco beans while I play around with various settings and results.

For Espresso I am currently at 18g in and 50g out @ 40 seconds. Taste is okay but I think I can greatly improve on beans. I have some on order from Bluebottle since I was gifted a subscription.
ECM Classika, 9bar, 95c
VST 18g Basket on Bottomless PF
Lagom P64 Mizen at 0.38 setting, RPM 6
Beans: Kirkland Organic Ethiopia Light Roast (unknown roast date, though seems fresh when delivered on 12/8)
Lagom RDT 1 spritz
Lagom WDT (I do NOT like this tool and will be replacing it)
Normcore V4 25lb tamp (tested with bathroom scale)

For pour over, I just made my first this morning using the P64 Mizen. It was a little thin but the notes came through so I'll be upping the dosage next time. The Costco beans might be fine for pour overs going forward but the verdict is still out.
Hario Gooseneck boiled then cooled briefly to 98C
Lagom P64 Mizen at 5.5 setting, RPM 6
Bluebottle dripper and papers
21g in, 350g out based on Tetsu Kasuya's 4:6 method

Water is RO from Primo that I mix with the fridge filter to bring the TDS up to about 40ppm.

LObin

#487: Post by LObin replying to ginowan »

That's a lot of expensive equipment for such inexpensive beans.

I'd strongly recommend getting specialty coffee with an actual roasting date on the package.
LMWDP #592

erik82

#488: Post by erik82 »

ginowan wrote:Before this I was mainly a drip and pour over guy using the Encore, Moccamaster, and sometimes the bluebottle dripper.
Our "house" beans are the Kirkland Organic Ethiopia Light Roast from Costco (#1217294 available online only). It has been very good in our drip machine.
You're not doing your equipment a favour :wink: . Beans are far more important than everything else. You coud have bought equipment 1/4 of the price and get the same results as your coffee is by far the limiting factor. Let us know how Bluebottle works as that should be a major improvement and keep buying good quality freshly roasted beans and forget about Costco.

And the WDT tool from Option-O does work well enough but has very thick needles. For the superb grind quality the P64 gives it's good enough. I did buy the Sworksdesign WDT tool with .25mm needles and it's a superb tool although it doesn't give better shots just nicer to use.

Jonk

#489: Post by Jonk »

SteveRhinehart wrote:I'm in for a set. It'll be interesting to compare to the SSP Cast v2 burrs, and I'm going to make good on my promise to mix-and-match the two sets for kicks.
Did you ever get around to this? :D
I like how it's SSP's solution for V3 (fixed burr is identical to V2)

SteveRhinehart

#490: Post by SteveRhinehart »

Ha, I totally forgot! Now that they're releasing V3 I plan to buy a set of those and then I can figure out which is the best pair of Mizen/Cv2/Cv3 :lol: