Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 48

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jfjj

#471: Post by jfjj »

From that description I would suggest the HU or the new ES from OO. The ES seem to be a bit more clarify focused than the HU but both heavy on the body. I came from the Niche > P64 MP to Omni and I prefer the Omni overall. While I loved the MP and could pull shots pretty easily it defiantly cut into the body. Omni maybe a good dip your toes into modern as well but you won't be disappointed with the HU or the ES from what I've been reading.
- Jean

soojineee

#472: Post by soojineee »

I'm currently grinding my light roast coffees around 0.4 for espresso, but I'm curious on how much finer I would need to grind if I were to get a precision basket.

Am I suppose to re-calibrate the grinder's zero point?

erik82

#473: Post by erik82 »

Depends on the precision basket and what basket your using now. You need to give some info in order to be able to help you.

Why would you want to recalibrate zero? What's the problem now?

soojineee

#474: Post by soojineee »

It's not that I have a problem nor I want to recalibrate the zero, but I'm worried that if I were to upgrade my basket, I would NEED to recalibrate the zero because I'm already grinding at 0.4 setting.

Currently I'm using the stock 17g basket with a 18g dose with no paper filter. So I'm assuming if I were to start using a paper filter and/or upgrade my basket, I would have to grind even finer. That's why I'm worried about recalibrating the zero since I'm so close to 0.0 already.

erik82

#475: Post by erik82 »

A number on a grinder says absolutely nothing just like chirp with no load due to play in the threads. True zero is where burrs touch when grinding and that's the only usefull number there is. Maybe the true zero of your grinder is -3 at where's it now. Only you can find out but I do think if it's calibrated from the factory you always need to recalibrate. They err on the safe side as most users lack knowledge and skill so that saves them a lot of money and complaints because users are f***ing things up due to lack of knowledge. Plus zero will shift to finer when the burrs are seasoned. So if you kow what you're doing just recalibrate. That's the first part of the story.

I've been going from my normal IMS to the Mesh IMS on the Strietman and the latter needed a finer grind but my Sworksdesign normal flow doesn't need a finer grind then the IMS mesh so it all depends on the basket. You probably need to grind a bit finer but not a lot. And most paper filter will only reduce flow so you need to grind coarser with them. That's why I didn't like most of them as they're used to get a higher EY but grinding coarser will result in a lower EY.

soojineee

#476: Post by soojineee »

Yea, that's what I was assuming. I guess I will just have to find out and see for myself; I'll start with the paper filters and go from there.

Jeff
Team HB

#477: Post by Jeff »

How much coffee have you run through them?

As I recall, my touch point shifted by 3-4 marks or so after running 5 kg or so through them.

mbbrew

#478: Post by mbbrew »

erik82 wrote:A number on a grinder says absolutely nothing just like chirp with no load due to play in the threads. True zero is where burrs touch when grinding and that's the only usefull number there is. Maybe the true zero of your grinder is -3 at where's it now. Only you can find out but I do think if it's calibrated from the factory you always need to recalibrate. They err on the safe side as most users lack knowledge and skill so that saves them a lot of money and complaints because users are f***ing things up due to lack of knowledge. Plus zero will shift to finer when the burrs are seasoned. So if you kow what you're doing just recalibrate. That's the first part of the story.

I've been going from my normal IMS to the Mesh IMS on the Strietman and the latter needed a finer grind but my Sworksdesign normal flow doesn't need a finer grind then the IMS mesh so it all depends on the basket. You probably need to grind a bit finer but not a lot. And most paper filter will only reduce flow so you need to grind coarser with them. That's why I didn't like most of them as they're used to get a higher EY but grinding coarser will result in a lower EY.
Which papers are you using that are reducing flow? Every paper I've tried has substantially sped up flow and reduced pressure. I haven't tried the high resistance lab filters that are designed to slow down the shot though.

Eiern

#479: Post by Eiern »

I too need to grind finer with home cut paper filters (I usually use Chemex) VS without, but I need to go quite a bit coarser with Ahlstrom lab filter.

soojineee

#480: Post by soojineee »

Jeff wrote:How much coffee have you run through them?

As I recall, my touch point shifted by 3-4 marks or so after running 5 kg or so through them.
I should be close to 5kg soon. I'm not really sure though.