Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 46

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
EvanOz85

#451: Post by EvanOz85 »

majs2009 wrote:I just installed the new sandblasted mizen burrs.
I had the moonshine one. However, once I installed the new one, my zero point changed by 3 complete numbers which is a lot. I am wondering if this is normal... I am interested to hear other experience if they made similar change
It doesn't matter. Why are you worried about something so trivial? Just adjust it and make coffee.

GDK

#452: Post by GDK »

majs2009 wrote:I just installed the new sandblasted mizen burrs.
I had the moonshine one. However, once I installed the new one, my zero point changed by 3 complete numbers which is a lot. I am wondering if this is normal... I am interested to hear other experience if they made similar change
I can confirm that the new version is ticker so touch point moving higher is normal. Someone who made the change from the thin moonshine version (yeah, there was thicker version for older P64 models, like mine) to the sandblasted can share perhaps by how much touch point moved.

erik82

#453: Post by erik82 »

Zero point is completely useless what number it is but you can adjust it on the P64. As long as you know where to stop going finer you're good. Every burr has a different thickness and so that changes where the chirping point is on the dial.

soojineee

#454: Post by soojineee »

Hello,

I'm curious to see how espresso grinds come out for others with their new Mizen burrs.

I'm currently grinding espresso at around .5 and it appears to be clumpier than expected. I need to really hit the top of the P64 to get the chunks out of it--my grinder does have a de-clumper.

The first time grinding at around .4, the retention was more than half a gram which was surprising. This was without any thwacks.

What are your experiences? I'm hoping others can post pictures of their espresso grinds in their portafilter.

Thank you.

GDK

#455: Post by GDK »

I am around 1.7 above touching point. I would guess you are grinding too fine, hence more clumping and retention.

soojineee

#456: Post by soojineee »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I believe so too--I will keep grinding coarser. Touching point for me should be at 0.0 which is the default from factory with the new Mizens (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Entreri

#457: Post by Entreri »

I grind at 1.3 for traditional 2:1 shots for milkdrinks and quite a few ticks coarser for faster light roast shots/turbo-ish.

soojineee

#458: Post by soojineee »

So I've ground the beans at 0.7, but this was too coarse--output was about 50grams at 23 seconds.

I then went to 0.65 setting and the output was about 40grams at 28 seconds. I'm doing 18 gram doses by the way.

The RPM setting is currently at 6 as the manual suggests. My target is around 36 grams at about 27 to 29 seconds.

I will keep messing with it.

Entreri

#459: Post by Entreri »

I think the 2:1 in around 30 seconds is a ok guideline to get started, but shouldn't be the target in itself. Type of bean, roast and age all affect extraction, in addition to temperature and flow of your machine.

soojineee

#460: Post by soojineee »

I noticed that even a hairline adjustment can result in the grinds being to too coarse/too fine. Or am I going crazy?