Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 43

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jfjj

#421: Post by jfjj »

Jeff wrote:Not that these things are really transferable, but I'm running around 0.5-0.7 from chirp on a P64/Mizen Moonshine. 18 g in a Pullman 17-19 w/Ahlstrom 909 bottom fillers, about 5 bars in the basket.
Pretty much the same .5-.7 with pullman.
- Jean

maccompatible

#422: Post by maccompatible »

I'm at closer to 1.2 to 1.5 with the sandblasted burrs. Traditional 1:2 9 bar pulls in 25-30 seconds on a 17g GS3 stock basket.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#423: Post by Scott_29 replying to maccompatible »

This is on a light roast? I am barely at 1.2 on a darker roast. This morning I used a medium/dark roast at 1.1, 18.5g in, 7 to 9 bars, ~48g out at around 30 seconds with a puck screen. No way would I get anything close to this at 1.2 for a lighter roast. I would be at .5 or .4 I think.

maccompatible

#424: Post by maccompatible »

The finest I've needed to go so far has been around 0.9 for a pretty light roast. I was at 0 on light roasts on my first replacement set and still getting turbo shots, and I could get a decent 1:2 shot on the original moonshine set at around 0.1 to 0.2.
LMWDP #628

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#425: Post by Scott_29 replying to maccompatible »

Sorry if I missed in in an earlier post on this thread, but are you now working with replacement burrs that Option-O sent you? I have an open dialogue with them and have been working through several issues. I think I've gotten the static to calm down, but now I've moved on to the fact that I don't think this current setup I have is going to grind fine enough. I don't have any true light roasts right now - I have a bag of something from Hydrangea coming next week - but it would be good to know if there is precedent for asking for a new set of burrs.

maccompatible

#426: Post by maccompatible replying to Scott_29 »

They sent me a new set of burrs after I demonstrated that my preferred roast level made a mess and pulled way too fast right above burr touch, yes. So that's what I'm working with now.
I've actually had 2 sets of replacements. The first actually worsened my issues, but the second fixed it all.
LMWDP #628

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#427: Post by Scott_29 replying to maccompatible »

Thank you for this...it's very helpful and encouraging.

Did all you have to do is remove the old and pop in the new burr set, or was additional tinkering required? I won't know for sure until next week but if the light roasts are all turbo shots, I'm definitely going to ask for new burrs. I genuinely want to like the P64 and have it work for me...

maccompatible

#428: Post by maccompatible replying to Scott_29 »

I tried tinkering first, but when the newest set of burrs arrived I just popped em in and was good to go.
LMWDP #628

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#429: Post by Scott_29 »

I just recalled I had a light roast that just came with my Standart magazine last week. So I just tried to pull a shot and the results were what I feared - It was more or less a turbo shot:

18g in an 18g basket; 0.1 setting on the P64, RDT/WDT, solid tamp, puck screen. Lelit Bianca v2 with 3 second/9 second pre-infusion. Coffee started hitting the cup at around 7 seconds and I was at 48g out around the 19 second mark. I believe I may have gotten up to 5 bars of pressure, but certainly no more.

While the shot had some redeeming qualities in terms of clarity and sweetness, this is not my preference with espresso. I feel at a .1 setting I should basically be choking the espresso machine even if it is a light roasted coffee. I feel I'm handcuffed in what I can do.

I'm going to reply to my open case with Option-O this evening and request a new burr set. That is Step 1, and I'm really crossing my fingers this will work as the thought of a replacement or having to upgrade to a Lagom 01 or another brand altogether isn't really what I want to do.

Jonk

#430: Post by Jonk »

Scott_29 wrote:I feel at a .1 setting I should basically be choking the espresso machine even if it is a light roasted coffee.
It's not an unreasonable feeling. But you might find that even if you can grind fine enough to slow down the shot, it might not taste very good. That's my experience with SSP's at least somewhat similar 64mm LS (v1).

I'm limited to turbo shots with light roasts and fast baskets. Not because there isn't room to grind finer, but grinding below the equivalent to setting 0.7 and 9 on the RPM dial just doesn't taste good. So I'm limited to pulling nice turbo shots or even allongé with some roasts or change other parameters like dose, basket or pressure profile (skip pre-infusion for one). This is with burrs officially designed for filter, so it doesn't bother me, just saying that I have no use for the margin.

Things might be different with Mizen, but from what I've heard they share the same preference for faster shots and also lead to flow accelerating during the shot.