Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 42

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Wodan

#411: Post by Wodan »

Anyone see much change or improvement with lots of beans through? Option O says they don't need to be seasoned, but I know the Cast Lab Sweets take a ton of seasoning before they perform really well. Wondering if Mizens might be the same since the geometry is so similar.

maccompatible

#412: Post by maccompatible replying to Wodan »

I haven't kept a set of mizen's for long enough to be able to tell. Lol. I'm honestly hoping my new set doesn't change at all as the pounds go by. It's so good already.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#413: Post by jfjj »

Wodan wrote:Anyone see much change or improvement with lots of beans through? Option O says they don't need to be seasoned, but I know the Cast Lab Sweets take a ton of seasoning before they perform really well. Wondering if Mizens might be the same since the geometry is so similar.
I put 3-4kg though and noticed a difference. I would say 4-5lbs helps for sure after that less noticeable.
- Jean

Wodan

#414: Post by Wodan »

What changes did you notice? Taste improvement?

heisenbrew

#415: Post by heisenbrew »

My V2 Mizens tasted great without seasoning, but the set point for espresso has continuously shifted downwards as I've run more coffee through it.

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#416: Post by Scott_29 »

I ran a little over two pounds of coffee through the grinder and then cleaned it all out to see if that helps with the static.

One thing I notice now is I feel the zero point may have shifted. I am not fully certain, but I felt like out of the box you could hear the burrs touch ever so slightly at the 0 mark. Now, there is no indication via sound that they are touching. Not a huge deal necessarily, but I am concerned about what my results might be when I try a true light roast. I hope it goes fine enough.

Jeff
Team HB

#417: Post by Jeff »

My touch point with Moonshine burrs shifted about two small marks after seasoning (5 kg)

I have had no problems with Glitch, Hydrangea or the like.

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#418: Post by Scott_29 replying to Jeff »

I ordered a bag of beans from Hydrangea today - This is my first foray into these light/fruity beans. I'm likely to use more as a pour-over, but curious what a good starting point is for espresso. The site mentions 3:1, so I'm thinking starting around .4 on the P64, 16g dose with 48g out targeting 30 seconds?

Jeff
Team HB

#419: Post by Jeff »

Not that these things are really transferable, but I'm running around 0.5-0.7 from chirp on a P64/Mizen Moonshine. 18 g in a Pullman 17-19 w/Ahlstrom 909 bottom fillers, about 5 bars in the basket.

Sp0ke

#420: Post by Sp0ke »

I don't know , but I have moonshine version , and I've been grinding coffee since mid/late June. Right now I get 1:2 , in 30s in 0.5 and in the other bean I got just a bit coarser 0.8 (without paper filter , with puck screen). But mainly because I do turbo shots and I've been using paper filter + puck screen , most of the time I grind in 3 setting and I pull 18.2gr of coffee beans , 50-60 yield in 17-19sec.

Don't get me wrong , but when I first got P64 I was grinding way closer to 0. After many kgs and some cleanings I grind closer to 1-0.5 for a traditional shot. But still depends on the bean.