Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 25

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ad-85

#241: Post by Ad-85 »

Flilow wrote:What are your thoughts on MC5 vs P64 Mizen for milk-based drinks? Difference in texture? I'm currently trying to decide between these two and will be about 60:40 milk-based:straight espresso.
MC5 is More forgiving when dialing in and it's better at milk drinks. Given your preferences, I'd go with mc5. I think that MC5 tolerates roasting/origin flaws more than mizens.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

GDK

#242: Post by GDK »

I have been using the Mizens on my P64 for about two months now. My previous set were the HU SSP. I am using them or espresso only.

Initial impression was great:
- consistently tastier coffee, even from beans that were giving me harder time with the HUs
- shorter grind time
- slightly quieter
- slightly less retention at the same RPMs (negligible difference)

Lately, as the burrs brake in more I guess, I find it is now harder to dial good espresso. I have to go up to 2 notches finer than before, compared to a month ago and while the shot start great flow accelerates midway and that leads to less than ideal results. No change in puck prep - no step is missed. I changed beans but also repeated a few over that period of time. Does anyone have similar observations?

Advertisement
yonika

#243: Post by yonika »

@GDK

I Also observed this.
Don't have any idea why.

:(

Sp0ke

#244: Post by Sp0ke »

Maybe seasoned? Did you manage to contact OO?
They're new burrs , so i suppose things like that will come out eventually. I don't know how long they tested them before they release them.

soojineee

#245: Post by soojineee »

Now I'm worried about getting the Mizen burrs with the July release... :|

GDK

#246: Post by GDK »

What I posted is an observation for now and I was curious if others have noticed something similar. I would not discount the Mizens yet as the quality jump from the HUs was very evident to me for espresso - sweeter and better balanced coffee.

I just removed, cleaned and reinstalled the burrs (same orientation of all parts). There was no loose screw, but just in case. I also cleaned the shower screen on the machine. This is to remove all factors that may play a role. I am even suspecting a batch of coffee might have been tagged with an incorrect roast date.

Also, I happen to have a second brand new set of the thinner Mizens that did not fit older P64 models. There was no perceivable difference in sharpness when I rubbed my finger against the edges - no noticeable dullness for sure. This is far from being a precise sharpness test.

I will share results after a few weeks.

Jeff
Team HB

#247: Post by Jeff »

Any recent word on the burrs ordered at the end of last year? I got a "confirm your address" email at the beginning of April, but nothing since.

Advertisement
SteveRhinehart

#248: Post by SteveRhinehart replying to Jeff »

I ordered mine October of last year, opted to wait for burrs without shims, got an address confirmation email March 28, shipping confirmation the next week, and the burrs arrived April 20.
★ Helpful

Michiel_loves_coffee

#249: Post by Michiel_loves_coffee »

GDK wrote:I have been using the Mizens on my P64 for about two months now. My previous set were the HU SSP. I am using them or espresso only.

- consistently tastier coffee, even from beans that were giving me harder time with the HUs
- shorter grind time
- slightly quieter

Lately, as the burrs brake in more I guess, I find it is now harder to dial good espresso. I have to go up to 2 notches finer than before, compared to a month ago and while the shot start great flow accelerates midway and that leads to less than ideal results. No change in puck prep - no step is missed. I changed beans but also repeated a few over that period of time. Does anyone have similar observations?
I seasoned my burrset with multiple kg beans, and didn't observe any change in behaviour when I started using them after that. I do however recognise the sympton of accelerating flow.
The way I use the burrs is by grinding so fine that the shot starts flowing later than would happen with other burrs, and then accelerates but stabilizes at a good flowrate. See for example a shot from today; there was no flow during preinfusion (there would be dripping with other burrs), then a late start, and then the flow stabilizes.
https://visualizer.coffee/shots/19982a7 ... 09ba75df99
The declining pressure probably helped a bit, but my guess is it should be ok with a flat pressure profile as well when used in this way.
I like the results in the cup!

KKUK

#250: Post by KKUK »

GDK wrote:I have been using the Mizens on my P64 for about two months now. My previous set were the HU SSP. I am using them or espresso only.

- shorter grind time
- slightly quieter

I think this has happened for me too. Have you tried upping RPM? It seems to have helped broaden the sweet spot for me.