Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 23

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Sp0ke

#221: Post by Sp0ke »

That's good to know! My espresso machine is fixed 9bar , so i may need to change the pressure of the opv valve internally.

astromaddie

#222: Post by astromaddie »

KKUK wrote:I did a brew today with a medium roasted Brazilian bean, 16g dose, ground at 5.5 on the dial, RPM setting 3. The brew was near stalling and brew time was much longer than preferred - the bed was also pretty muddy (see below). If Brazilian beans are your thing then you may not necessarily have a problem. The filters I brew are higher grown and on the lighter side of the spectrum.
I wouldn't say that Brazilians are my thing, I tend to circulate the kind of beans I try. I like Ethiopians and Guatemalans a lot, but the latter of which can be expensive to find in Japan. I thought these were grown at pretty high altitude though, 1200-1430m. I also don't drink anything darker than medium-light, so I also tend to stay on the pretty light side of the spectrum. Still, interesting that you had muddiness and drawdown issues with yours. I'll try some Honduran if I can grab a bag this week.

I had made a comparison of grinds between my Kinu and P64, which I thinks really highlights the extra fines in the P64. Maybe it's a by-product if higher RPMs? But I would have expected better fines from the flat burrs than the conicals.

calmunderpressure

#223: Post by calmunderpressure »

Hey guys,

I'm using the Mizen burrs now for 2 weeks and I'm pleased with the result in the cup.
9 out of 10 times I drink espresso.

Yesterday I tried the first French press grind setting. It also tasted fine
But after that I wanted to go back to my espresso setting.
Unfortunately there are so much leftover grinds stuck at the 3 black carriers that I can't set the grind size back to the fine espresso setting.

I have to open the grinder, clean the carrier and then can go back to my espresso setting.

Same with and without RDT.

With my MP Burrs I could go a few marks coarser, speed up the grinder and then go finer to my setting again without opening the grinder.

Anyone else has this problem?

coffeeOnTheBrain

#224: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain replying to calmunderpressure »

Maybe try to go a tad coarser before you go finer again. Eventually even with any small turn let's say 5 degree coarser than 30 finer again and again.
This worked for me for other grinders and burrs.

calmunderpressure

#225: Post by calmunderpressure replying to coffeeOnTheBrain »

Like I wrote, that was possible with my Multipurpose burrs, but not with my Mizen..

KKUK

#226: Post by KKUK »

calmunderpressure wrote:Hey guys,

I'm using the Mizen burrs now for 2 weeks and I'm pleased with the result in the cup.
9 out of 10 times I drink espresso.

Yesterday I tried the first French press grind setting. It also tasted fine
But after that I wanted to go back to my espresso setting.
Unfortunately there are so much leftover grinds stuck at the 3 black carriers that I can't set the grind size back to the fine espresso setting.

I have to open the grinder, clean the carrier and then can go back to my espresso setting.

Same with and without RDT.

With my MP Burrs I could go a few marks coarser, speed up the grinder and then go finer to my setting again without opening the grinder.

Anyone else has this problem?
Sorry to hear that, I haven't experienced this. What grind setting were you using for FP?

albertf

#227: Post by albertf »

Did anyone receive just the Mizen burr (without it being pre-installed with a P64) recently? When was your order date?

Just wondering since I paid for my order last year and haven't received it yet.

maxdepth

#228: Post by maxdepth replying to albertf »

I've had the Mizens for about 3 weeks now. My order date was October 30, 2022.

Ad-85

#229: Post by Ad-85 »

P64 with my mizen is my go to grinder for espresso and I have max and mc5.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

Michiel_loves_coffee

#230: Post by Michiel_loves_coffee replying to Ad-85 »

Wow, suprised to hear this :shock: What roast level do you usually use for espresso?