Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
domoson

#21: Post by domoson »

EvanOz85 wrote:I'll be directly comparing these to SSP's version once they arrive.
Any first thoughts? Still deciding which burrs to get for my p64, Feb '23 batch :)

EvanOz85

#22: Post by EvanOz85 replying to domoson »

They haven't started shipping yet, as far as I'm aware.

JZ42

#23: Post by JZ42 »

Has anyone received the mizen burrs yet? I'm about to pull the trigger on the p64 and am torn apart between the SSP HU and the mizen :(

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by jfjj »

One P64 owner got his when he ordered the unit so I think it's available when you buy the P64.
- Jean

JZ42

#25: Post by JZ42 »

yeah I'm not concerned about its availability but rather about whether its taste profile is as good as option o has described it. Given their track record, I think it's safe to assume that the mizen burr is good, but still would like to see some reviews before I pull the trigger :)

div

#26: Post by div »

I received mine with a new P64, I can't compare them directly to HU, since I never used HU. They are different to what I am used to (JX-Pro), it's early days I ground only a kilogram of coffee through them. Flavors are more defined with the Mizen burrs, but not always more enjoyable, for body it's very smooth and silky, but less thick. It really amplifies the flavor, but also the bitter notes, not sure if the taste balance will change with seasoning.
Dialing was a big difference for me, with conical it is easier to understand how far I am from the 30s, with those it just flows like a river and than suddenly it's a 30s extraction. But this might be just a lack of experience with the grinder.
My range was low out of the box, so I removed the limiter and noticed that first chirp happens on -0.3. I've tried several coffees and I'm around 0.6-1.0 from chirp. I had a stale decaff laying around and I managed to get it to 30s on 0.3. All this with a 18g IMS, 8.5bars, and light to medium roasts. From this limited testing I would say it should be good enough for espresso.
I didn't bother with zeroing and testing alignment, I'll do those once I run some coffee through the burrs. I mainly do espresso, but during the holidays will give filter a go.
Guess it's not very useful, just first impressions.

GDK

#27: Post by GDK »

div wrote:... Flavors are more defined with the Mizen burrs, but not always more enjoyable, for body it's very smooth and silky, but less thick. It really amplifies the flavor, but also the bitter notes, not sure if the taste balance will change with seasoning...
This is what the SSP cast burrs owners have noticed as well at the beginning, though some said the bitterness went away as burrs got seasoned. I hope that will be the case as I also have one on order.

GDK

#28: Post by GDK »

My Mizens were shipped and have already reached my local Fedex sorting facility... but because of the holidays I will get them next Wednesday :(

Keep the impressions coming.

EvanOz85

#29: Post by EvanOz85 »

Managed to procure Ditting Lab Sweet that's been modded for single dosing. Should be in next week. So I'll be able to compare genuine 80mm LS, SSP cast, and Mizen Omni's soon. Should be interesting.
★ Helpful

LindoPhotography

#30: Post by LindoPhotography »

I got the SSP Cast burrs as well which I didn't love (lab sweet style burrs similar to the Option-o Omni Mizen burrs), but apparently get better with seasoning which I don't have the inclination to do.
Ordered the Option-O hoping they're better, or at least don't require a long seasoning period before they're actually good.
I'll compare them both in a DF64 (SSP Cast) and P64 (Mizen) if I don't sell my SSPs in the meantime.
SteveRhinehart wrote:I'm in for a set. It'll be interesting to compare to the SSP Cast v2 burrs, and I'm going to make good on my promise to mix-and-match the two sets for kicks.
I wonder how that would work, don't break your burrs or grinder lol