Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 19

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jfjj
Supporter ♡

#181: Post by jfjj »

The range to 0 isn't the issue it's more if you can dial the coffee within the range of the ranges. Sounds like the sweet spot is t a bit small for espresso but I'm not concerned that's it's less than 1.0. It is steppes at the end of the day. as long as we aren't going to 0 for the coffee we are good.
- Jean

gongfugang

#182: Post by gongfugang »

Sp0ke wrote:Is it concerning the fact that you grind only few notches for 1:2.5 ratio ?? I've read in other comments also that people had to grind finder in order to brew in a more "normal" time for a 1:2 ratio..

I'll get my P64 with mizen on May and i'm concerned to be honest. lol
what if the burrs get seasoned? We will have to grind so close to 0 point ?
I have around 10 pounds of coffee through mine at this point and I easily choke my machine if I grind below 0.5ish. At first I couldn't grind find enough, even with the safety removed. Not sure what happened, but when I took the top off and cleaned out the burr chamber, vacuumed under the three pins with springs (not sure what you'd call these), and put it all together again, I was able to grind just fine. Either I'd made some mistake with setting the zero point before (very likely), or something about cleaning it fully did the trick. Either way I'm very happy with the burrs. Option O was super helpful the whole time-I think cause these are their burrs, they want to make extra sure that people are able to use them with ease.

jefferyyoung

#183: Post by jefferyyoung »

I agree with the previous two posters that the relatively small range, and its closeness to the zero point, isn't overly concerning with the Mizen burrs. There's still useful range there and I find these burrs relatively easy to dial in. They are quite user friendly overall, and I think truly do hit a good "sweet" spot between clarity, sweetness and ease of use.

A related note on the P64 is that you have to ensure you screw down the upper chamber adequately when reassembling. It's important you are pushing down firmly against the springs as you tighten the Allen screws (no need to overtighten, just make sure you have compressed the springs fully). If you haven't pushed down adequately it will affect burr spacing.

JBFilterbrew

#184: Post by JBFilterbrew »

I have the same question. I do all filter mostly light and was stuck with the original P64 burrs as that was all that was available from Prima in the US at the time I bought my P64. I do only filter and medium to light roasts. Want to switch burrs this year but don't know between Mizen and SP cast which would be better. I guess maybe few would try both as they are so similar but I am still hopeful to get some useful information on which would be better before I make a choice.

barNone

#185: Post by barNone »

gongfugang wrote:I have around 10 pounds of coffee through mine at this point and I easily choke my machine if I grind below 0.5ish. At first I couldn't grind find enough, even with the safety removed. Not sure what happened, but when I took the top off and cleaned out the burr chamber, vacuumed under the three pins with springs (not sure what you'd call these), and put it all together again, I was able to grind just fine. Either I'd made some mistake with setting the zero point before (very likely), or something about cleaning it fully did the trick. Either way I'm very happy with the burrs. Option O was super helpful the whole time-I think cause these are their burrs, they want to make extra sure that people are able to use them with ease.
I've had issues on another flat burr grinder when I ground way too fine at first without knowing the range of the new burrs that had been installed and that created a huge amount of gunk that caked between a lot of the teeth and almost blocked the chute to the point where any subsequent adjustments weren't making any difference: cleaning the sludge out got the grind range back to normal after. Not sure if this was the case for you.

FWIW I recently opened my P64 3 weeks after its last cleaning and it was pretty clean in there except for minor buildup around the 3 "fins" on the lower carrier, the Mizens didn't have any buildup except for the screws, though I do RDT and use bellows all the time. I was pretty impressed by such minimal retention (guesstimating < 0.1g).

Regarding espresso grind range, I've never needed to go below 0.7 with my v3 and Mizen burrs for the medium and light roasts and my burrs don't even touch at 0 (still set from the factory). So let's say it's effectively 0.5 if we assume the factory calibrated 0.2 above the burrs chirping. My dry dosage is around 18 grams, so regardless of ratio, are those of you who grind near 0 using a far smaller dry dosage or really green beans?

Wodan

#186: Post by Wodan »

kidloco wrote: The filter is very good and complements my Timemore 078 nicely.
Could you provide more detail on the filter profile? Which burrs are the cups similar to?

Sp0ke

#187: Post by Sp0ke »

gongfugang wrote:I have around 10 pounds of coffee through mine at this point and I easily choke my machine if I grind below 0.5ish. At first I couldn't grind find enough, even with the safety removed. Not sure what happened, but when I took the top off and cleaned out the burr chamber, vacuumed under the three pins with springs (not sure what you'd call these), and put it all together again, I was able to grind just fine. Either I'd made some mistake with setting the zero point before (very likely), or something about cleaning it fully did the trick. Either way I'm very happy with the burrs. Option O was super helpful the whole time-I think cause these are their burrs, they want to make extra sure that people are able to use them with ease.
when you say grind just fine after cleaning you mean after 0.5 or below 0.5 it wasnt choking ?

Don't have yet my P64 in my hands and dont know exactly how it looks like if i open it (for example screws , springs and all that stuff).

Sp0ke

#188: Post by Sp0ke »

jefferyyoung wrote:I agree with the previous two posters that the relatively small range, and its closeness to the zero point, isn't overly concerning with the Mizen burrs. There's still useful range there and I find these burrs relatively easy to dial in. They are quite user friendly overall, and I think truly do hit a good "sweet" spot between clarity, sweetness and ease of use.

A related note on the P64 is that you have to ensure you screw down the upper chamber adequately when reassembling. It's important you are pushing down firmly against the springs as you tighten the Allen screws (no need to overtighten, just make sure you have compressed the springs fully). If you haven't pushed down adequately it will affect burr spacing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_gWuglvvY 0:46 part?? Thats where you mean push it down?

jefferyyoung

#189: Post by jefferyyoung »

No, more like the 1:00 mark while you are tightening the hex screws.

LindoPhotography

#190: Post by LindoPhotography »

Coming from a Niche Zero I think you'll be happier with the Mizen burrs, definitely would be a huge jump in flavour clarity based on what I've heard about the burrs, and not sacrificing the body as much, also should be more versatile and forgiving than SSP MP burrs, you're likely just sacrificing a little of the top end of clarity, but I found sometimes a super clear burr isn't the most enjoyable or tasty one.
I do really like the SSP MPs but it takes some getting used to. A lot of the time the coffee is very tea-like in texture.

However I have had shots with certain coffees that surprised me, doing a very finely ground, low pre-infusion on a Europiccola lever machine with a light roasted coffee gave me really nice flavour clarity AND BODY. I think it was probably like 16g in and 24g out, so being a Ristretto (and a lever machine) was likely a big factor.
Alternatively, the Weber HG2 / KEY has big conical burrs, which people typically think are low clarity and high body, but I believe because of their burr coating / treatment and low RPM it does actually have pretty decent flavour clarity and NOT so much body, but I do find it often has a silky texture to it, I'm not sure it should be considered body. But the first time I tried it, I was surprised! Not what I was expecting.

Sp0ke wrote:Thanks to everyone who helped me out with my dilemma. I'm between Mizen and MPs , because what i'm looking for right now , that Niche doesnt give me most of the time is clarity. Yes i can feel that acidity or whatever , but most of the time what they describe of the coffee bag i don't. Maybe my tasting knowledge or ability is not that well trained , but i suppose Mizen or MP will help me out. And another thing that maybe i should go Mizen or MP , is that near future i may want to buy an aeropress and see how it goes. I should look more Mizen MP comparisons on youtube. Can't find many though , maybe because not many have received the mizen burrs yet ?