Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 18

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GDK

#171: Post by GDK »

kidloco wrote:...The Mizen ... gives me the cup I prefer with the least amount of trouble dialing in. ...
What I like: consistency, the right amount of clarity with the right amount of body that I can still drink, which I consider traditional espresso. I drink medium-dark to medium-light roasted beans. The filter is very good and complements my Timemore 078 nicely.
I am still waiting for the new thicker burrs that should fit my second gen P64 - end of Feb or March they said :|

kidloco

#172: Post by kidloco »

loscorrales wrote:which dial number are you using in P64 for light roast for espresso?
0.5-0.7 atm

I am having a blast with Natural Omni roast Ethiopia Aricha Wubanchi atm @0.7 17 in 40gm out in 30 seconds.

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#173: Post by jfjj »

Did you season yours?
- Jean

Tjyven

#174: Post by Tjyven »

kidloco wrote:You have to think about the taste profile you want. The Mizen is the best burr I have personally tried for espresso - for what I want from coffee. Well, scratch that "best burr", the burr that, in most cases, gives me the cup I prefer with the least amount of trouble dialing in.

I have tried: Commadante, Niche, K-Max, Mazzer's: Mini, Jolly, and Major, P64 SSP HU, P100 HU, Mahlkonig E65S GbW, Kafatek MC4... I hope I remembered all.

What I like: consistency, the right amount of clarity with the right amount of body that I can still drink, which I consider traditional espresso. I drink medium-dark to medium-light roasted beans. The filter is very good and complements my Timemore 078 nicely.
Only used 64mm Mazzer and SSP HU of those, how is the profile for Mizen compared to them for espresso? And for filter I guess it i better?

kidloco

#175: Post by kidloco »

jfjj wrote:Did you season yours?
No, so I expect it will get better I guess

jefferyyoung

#176: Post by jefferyyoung »

Some very early impressions comparing the Mizen to the SSP MP unimodal with a new P64 with "modern" espresso.

I've used the Mizen burrs most extensively since receiving the P64 a couple of weeks ago (in Canada). Out of the box the grind wasn't quite fine enough before hitting the P64's "stop" so I removed that and found the chirp point about 2 notches below 0. With mostly light roast beans I have been grinding at 1-2 notches above the chirp to get about 2.5:1 ratio with a "blooming" espresso profile (Profitec Pro 400 with flow profile kit, and Flair 58).

I recently installed the SSP MP unimodal burrs and ran some back-to-back shots on both the Profitec and Flair.

The shots reflect the general descriptions by Option-O. The Mizen have good sweetness/clarity, but also a decent amount of body. The SSP MPs have higher clarity, similar sweetness, and less body. I think with the right light roast bean the SSP MPs could draw out some more complexity/clarity of flavours, but perhaps only by a bit.

Some other observations of note - but please take these lightly as testing has been limited:
- Mizen burrs grind faster. Probably about double the speed at the same RPM (I've been running 4-5 on the P64)
- Mizen burrs produce "fluffier" grinds, filling the basket quite a bit higher before distribution. SSP grinds are still quite fluffy and not clumpy, but not as fluffy as the Mizen.
- SSP MP burrs are "taller" so the zero point is quite a bit different (about 2 full numbers on the P64 dial higher)
- I think the SSP MP burrs offer a bit more "range" of adjustment within the same amount of dial turn.

Overall, I am undecided on which set will get the most use. If I had to choose at this very moment it would likely be the Mizen, but as I try some more exotic nordic-style beans I'm curious what the SSP MP's bring.

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#177: Post by jfjj »

Have you tried any medium to dark roasts on the Mizen?
- Jean

jefferyyoung

#178: Post by jefferyyoung replying to jfjj »

No, not really. I got the P64 (and the Mizen/SSP MP burrs) to chase difficult light roast extractions/profiles with espresso. I have little doubt that the Mizen would suit medium roasts well.

Michiel_loves_coffee

#179: Post by Michiel_loves_coffee »

I inquired with option-o about the status of the omni burrs. Received a very friendly mail explaining the situation;

'Currently, we have received the machined burrs (which was the bottleneck step that was delayed), but we still need to put them through several finishing steps before conducting a final quality check. Unfortunately, this process has taken longer than we had anticipated. However, we believe we are nearing the end of this process and if all goes well, we expect to ship the burrs in approximately 2-3 weeks.'

So if all goes well we have new burrs to play with at the end of the month :-)

Sp0ke

#180: Post by Sp0ke »

jefferyyoung wrote:Some very early impressions comparing the Mizen to the SSP MP unimodal with a new P64 with "modern" espresso.

I've used the Mizen burrs most extensively since receiving the P64 a couple of weeks ago (in Canada). Out of the box the grind wasn't quite fine enough before hitting the P64's "stop" so I removed that and found the chirp point about 2 notches below 0. With mostly light roast beans I have been grinding at 1-2 notches above the chirp to get about 2.5:1 ratio with a "blooming" espresso profile (Profitec Pro 400 with flow profile kit, and Flair 58).

I recently installed the SSP MP unimodal burrs and ran some back-to-back shots on both the Profitec and Flair.

The shots reflect the general descriptions by Option-O. The Mizen have good sweetness/clarity, but also a decent amount of body. The SSP MPs have higher clarity, similar sweetness, and less body. I think with the right light roast bean the SSP MPs could draw out some more complexity/clarity of flavours, but perhaps only by a bit.

Some other observations of note - but please take these lightly as testing has been limited:
- Mizen burrs grind faster. Probably about double the speed at the same RPM (I've been running 4-5 on the P64)
- Mizen burrs produce "fluffier" grinds, filling the basket quite a bit higher before distribution. SSP grinds are still quite fluffy and not clumpy, but not as fluffy as the Mizen.
- SSP MP burrs are "taller" so the zero point is quite a bit different (about 2 full numbers on the P64 dial higher)
- I think the SSP MP burrs offer a bit more "range" of adjustment within the same amount of dial turn.

Overall, I am undecided on which set will get the most use. If I had to choose at this very moment it would likely be the Mizen, but as I try some more exotic nordic-style beans I'm curious what the SSP MP's bring.
Is it concerning the fact that you grind only few notches for 1:2.5 ratio ?? I've read in other comments also that people had to grind finder in order to brew in a more "normal" time for a 1:2 ratio..

I'll get my P64 with mizen on May and i'm concerned to be honest. lol
what if the burrs get seasoned? We will have to grind so close to 0 point ?