Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 16

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Sp0ke

#151: Post by Sp0ke »

My bad sir! Yes mostly espresso , but perhaps in future i'd like to taste Aeropress or Pour Over. But currrently only espresso medium and light roast.

I havent used any flat burrs , because i own a niche zero , but i'd love to have that clarity.

gongfugang

#152: Post by gongfugang »

Interesting results after a few days of playing around... I'm still getting insanely quick shots, even with the RPM at 9 and just about at 0 for the grind. 21 seconds for 17g at 1:2.5 of a medium-light roast bean. That being said... it's a tasty shot. Sweet, fruity, a hint of sour but in a pleasing way. A little thin but that's expected.

So, I'm not so much disappointed as I am confused. I'm assuming someone has to be getting more "normal" speeds with these burrs? This makes me worried for dialing in future beans, so I'm still going to reach out to Option-O, but I'd love to know what people's shot times are looking like.

Bunkmil

#153: Post by Bunkmil »

gongfugang wrote: I'm assuming someone has to be getting more "normal" speeds with these burrs? This makes me worried for dialing in future beans, so I'm still going to reach out to Option-O, but I'd love to know what people's shot times are looking like.
Did you put the shims? I can easily choke my machine. I have plenty of room for adjustment in the espresso range. Not even close to the chirping point.

gongfugang

#154: Post by gongfugang replying to Bunkmil »

I bought the grinder from Prima with the Mizen burrs already installed, so no. Wonder if Prima installed the burrs themselves and should have used shims?

Abecker

#155: Post by Abecker replying to gongfugang »

I got one as well, and had to remove the piece they have added to stop the burrs from touching. I also needed to readjust the zero point and then was able to re-install the stopper piece.

Sp0ke

#156: Post by Sp0ke »

gongfugang wrote:Interesting results after a few days of playing around... I'm still getting insanely quick shots, even with the RPM at 9 and just about at 0 for the grind. 21 seconds for 17g at 1:2.5 of a medium-light roast bean. That being said... it's a tasty shot. Sweet, fruity, a hint of sour but in a pleasing way. A little thin but that's expected.

So, I'm not so much disappointed as I am confused. I'm assuming someone has to be getting more "normal" speeds with these burrs? This makes me worried for dialing in future beans, so I'm still going to reach out to Option-O, but I'd love to know what people's shot times are looking like.
I'm about to buy my very first P64 with Mizens burrs and i read this LOL .. :'( I was in the buying option...
What should i do ???

div

#157: Post by div »

gongfugang wrote:Interesting results after a few days of playing around... I'm still getting insanely quick shots, even with the RPM at 9 and just about at 0 for the grind. 21 seconds for 17g at 1:2.5 of a medium-light roast bean. That being said... it's a tasty shot. Sweet, fruity, a hint of sour but in a pleasing way. A little thin but that's expected.

Hi @gongfugang I also have a Mizen and new P64. I had some rough time with it at the start, and definitely it needs finer grind, but still you should be able to choke the machine with any coffee.
Mine was set in such a way that chirp was 0.3 after the 0 point. For some coffees I was at 0.1 and if you do the math it's not so concerning 0.4 actually is within their specs for light coffees. I was a little worried back then there was no printed document from Lagom about the range, so I went ahead and checked alignment with marker test. The rotational burr was not getting wiped, so I went ahead and shimmed it. I am not sure if this is necessary or not. Lagom think it's over complication, and it very well might be, but I prefer to have it as level as possible. One note here many people are doing the test with a motor running, but latest grinders have a standard bolt head and you can do it by hand, I believe it's more precise and you don't risk damaging the burr. As always this one is on you, everyone tinkers his own equipment and takes responsibility for it.
About dialing with light coffees I would say it requires some time and is challenging, coming from a conical I spend more time and take more care on puck prep.
I guess you already tried few things, but I would start with making sure I can choke the machine.

GDK

#158: Post by GDK »

div wrote:... chirp was 0.3 after the 0 point. For some coffees I was at 0.1
Just to clarify, was that a click above the point of chirping or at the 0.1 mark on the grinder?

div

#159: Post by div »

0.1 on the grinder so 0.4 in reality which is what Lagom are saying is the range with light coffees. The 0 point was set very conservatively on my unit, this of course is easily fixable if you are into this.

loscorrales

#160: Post by loscorrales replying to div »

That's on the lower the limit, really?