Option-O Mizen 64mm Omni burrs for Lagom P64 - Page 12

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
andriy

#111: Post by andriy »

Bunkmil wrote:I have a first generation p64 and I have no issue with my Mizen. They sent some shims because the burrs thickness was a bit too low on the first batch but that's it. It will be fixed in the next batch. Other than that they work flawlessly. I can grind as fine as I want. I have nothing to complain about them.
how do these compare to your old burrs (which ones) ?

Bunkmil

#112: Post by Bunkmil replying to andriy »

I had the ssp unimodals v1.
It's a bit early to draw any hard conclusion yet but so far as you can imagine the extractions are much more balanced. Less focused on clarity and more texture. Plenty of room for adjustments in the espresso range whereas the unimodals had a very narrow sweet spot.

gongfugang

#113: Post by gongfugang »

Just got a P64 with the Mizen burrs installed. First time with flat burrs, so I don't have a great point of comparison, but compared to the Niche there's a night and day difference for V60s. Still a nice body, but the clarity is amped way up. First comparison that came to mind is a layer cake (Mizen) vs a cake pop (Niche) (don't ask why...).

YoshiKenji

#114: Post by YoshiKenji »

What grind setting are folks with the Mizen's using for v60?

andriy

#115: Post by andriy »

Bunkmil wrote:I had the ssp unimodals v1.
It's a bit early to draw any hard conclusion yet but so far as you can imagine the extractions are much more balanced. Less focused on clarity and more texture. Plenty of room for adjustments in the espresso range whereas the unimodals had a very narrow sweet spot.
Thanks, this is music to my ears :) I also have a ssp unimodal burrset in my late 2020 or Jan'21 grinder. Exactly matching your observations about narrow adjustment range for espresso (LR24 lever machine user). That is good to hear and I also looking to improve my brews with it. For me the structure and complexity with my burrs are just not the same as in EK43 from the coffee shop, no matter the brewing method.

Bunkmil

#116: Post by Bunkmil replying to andriy »

I also have a lever. ACS Evo Leva in my case :wink: .

Graymatters

#117: Post by Graymatters »

Have they given an update on the stock situation? Have the opened up orders to us lowly dregs with DF64s? :lol:

Oh, and to keep the levers going, I've got a Pro800 :P
LMWDP #726

gongfugang

#118: Post by gongfugang »

YoshiKenji wrote:What grind setting are folks with the Mizen's using for v60?
Wayyyyyy finer than the quick start guide said to. I'm at 3.3 with a light roast Costa Rica.

YoshiKenji

#119: Post by YoshiKenji »

Wow that's way lower than I was experimenting at, good to know! Might explain why I've been getting dull flavors. Your chirp point is at 0 on the dial? Also, what v60 technique/recipe do you follow?

gongfugang

#120: Post by gongfugang »

So, I'm assuming that it's at 0 like Option-O says, but my grinder adjustment dial won't move past 0, so they never actually chirp. If I remember correctly, that's one of the recent changes-unless you change the 0 point, they've done it for you so you don't risk damaging your burrs. But I'm a little skeptical that the 0 on my dial is the chirp point of the burrs just because I'm having to grind much finer than they recommend. I'm not using this grinder for espresso though, so not too worried about it not going fine enough.

For recipe, I usually do Hoffmann's, but I've been experimenting with a new one I saw on Reddit. 15g grounds, 50g bloom for 1 minute stirring with a spoon once or twice, then slow circles close to the grounds until you reach 230g. Swirl a little when you're done pouring. It's working well for drawing out the bright tropical fruits of this anaerobic natural I'm drinking.