Opinions of Nuova Simonelli Grinta grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
nixter

#1: Post by nixter »

Hey all, there seems to be woefully little information about Nuova Simonelli Grinta grinder. I have this grinder and I *think* I'm happy with it but I really don't know any better as it's the only thing I've ever used. Has anyone had any experience with these grinders side by side in a controlled situation? I'd really like to hear some more feedback about these. On paper the specs look good which is why I bought it in the first place... ok it also looks great with my Oscar. :)

Thanks!

N

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

It got a bad rep about 5 years ago since it was poor at single dosing (beans getting hung up on the collar), and the chute didn't clear easily. They may have fixed these since then.
Jim Schulman

DavidMLewis

#3: Post by DavidMLewis »

Having used one for a number of years, I frankly think you can do better, unless the early flaws of mine have been addressed. In addition to the ledges, the bottom of which I fixed by cutting a section from a plastic funnel and inserting it above the upper burr carrier, mine had these flaws:
  • The burr carriers are pot metal, not brass, and neither the threads nor the burr alignment are as precise as they really need to be.
    The steps as delivered are way too large, and don't correspond in number to the marks on the housing.
    The burrs are twice as expensive as others of similar size and quality.
I still keep mine, heavily modified, for the occasions when I need to grind half a pound at a time for my big vacuum pot, but otherwise I don't use it much. At $125, we could talk. At $300, I think better is to be had.

Best,
David

RE*AC*TOR

#4: Post by RE*AC*TOR »

My Grinta has been relegated to drip/french press use. I'm not all that happy with it even in that role. Unfortunately my Mahlkonig Guatemala was too big and I had to sell it.

Grinta Pros:
Grind adjustment is easy
Steps not too big (by that I mean they are usable for espresso, but could be smaller)

Grinta Cons:
Retains an ass-load of coffee between the burrs and the chute.
Clumps like nothing else on espresso grind.
Has stupid ledge inside throat before burrs that beans can get caught on.

It's an entirely mediocre grinder.

nixter (original poster)

#5: Post by nixter (original poster) »

Ok thanks for the info! I know the grinder has annoyances like the shelf and the clumpy chute. I can live with the shelf and I can WDT but how about the actual consistency of the grind? If I bite the bullet and buy a mazzer mini will my shots improve that much? I don't mind paying for it but I want actual results in the cup, not just to be able to say I have a mazzer in my kitchen.

Thanks guys,

n