One Niche Zero; Decaf coffee at night. Drinking caffeine?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dsc106

#1: Post by dsc106 »

I know the Niche Zero isn't actually zero retention - easy to get a little left over. I also know from cleaning it out!

Question is, for single dosing caffeine during the day and decaf at night - how much caffeine might I get into my decaf if I do it on the same grinder? Insignificant, or possibly enough to cause inability to sleep if I am sensitive to caffeine?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

I'd guess insignificant.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Call it 0.3 g / 18 g < 2%

A "puffer" would take that to nearly zero.

Jonk

#4: Post by Jonk »

Probably less than the amount of caffeine still left in the decaffeinated beans.

GeorgeP922

#5: Post by GeorgeP922 »

Anyone try using a shop vac to delete the retention between bean change?

cafeIKE

#6: Post by cafeIKE replying to GeorgeP922 »

Do you live alone?
Buy a quiet grinder one can converse over and blast people out of the room with a shop vac?

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Jeff wrote:Call it 0.3 g / 18 g < 2%

A "puffer" would take that to nearly zero.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

cafeIKE

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

Gary,

I'd like to see the ejecta from a blow job

Is it done pre grind to remove dried stales, post grind into the cup or discarded.

I'm serious as I have a Niche.

NicoNYC

#9: Post by NicoNYC »

I think most people agree that there's less than .5g of exchange happening in the Niche between doses (DaveC said <.3g in his review years ago). So for an 18g dose, that's less than 3% of your coffee coming from the last dose.

"Decaf" still has about 3% of the original caffeine of the beans, depending on the process used. So the caffeine coming from the retained grounds is about equal to the caffeine you'd have anyways in the decaf shot, leaving you with espresso that has maybe 6% the caffeine of a shot of regular espresso.
LMWDP #718

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

cafeIKE wrote:Gary,

I'd like to see the ejecta from a blow job

Is it done pre grind to remove dried stales, post grind into the cup or discarded.

I'm serious as I have a Niche.
:lol: Post-grind into the cup. If I were to advise myself, I would suggest discarding the post-grind because it's likely to be fines. Puffing out the remnant allows me to start each new cup with fresh coffee. I also always RDT, adding a few drops of water to reduce static.

FWIW it's not much, but I blow out the grinds after every shot, so it doesn't accumulate.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!