Olympia Moccaclub grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JB130

#1: Post by JB130 »

I just bought my second grinder in as many weeks ... my family is wondering why I need so many grinders.

Last week it was a DeVe hand grinder, this week an Olympia Moccaclub from 1986:

Does anyone have any experience with this grinder? It's name and size suggests it might have been marketed to go with the Club or the Superclub, as opposed to the smaller Cremina-sized Moca grinder. But the grinder is still not that big; only about 15 inches tall with the hopper. The burrs are flat, about 54mm in diameter, and the motor is 250-W. The adjustment is stepped. I couldn't find any info at all on google ... apparently google has not yet indexed everything that ever existed in the universe.

This is my first dosing grinder and after one day I do not have the hang of it yet. But so far I have been impressed.

Probably a silly question: In the last picture you can see a metal divider that slides in and out; when in it isolates the hopper from the mouth of the grinder. What is this for? Dosing beans before grinding?

Teme

#2: Post by Teme »

Looks like an Anfim Best, doesn't it?

Br,
Teme

mogogear

#3: Post by mogogear »

Dead ringer- Good catch. Good luck with the 220v :shock:
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

It looks like the burrs are well used.
Dave Stephens

JB130 (original poster)

#5: Post by JB130 (original poster) »

Yes, thanks! It definitely looks like an Anfim, right down to the vertical nameplate on the back:

The specs are almost a perfect match too, the only change in 21 years seems to be a different on/off switch and a slightly different motor. So it must have been manufactured by Anfim and rebadged by Olympia. Funny they still were able to write "Made in Switzerland" on it! The Anfim Best also seems to have been rebadged as a Pasquini Moka90 and an ECM Giotto Best. And yes the burrs need replacing. It should be a lot easier now that I know what machine I have.

Does anyone know if the Best was being made in 1986? I did a little searching and supposedly there was another Anfim called Milano that was a predecessor to the Best.

And about the 220V: my profile was out of date, I am in Europe now, so that's a good thing!

By the way, my searching turned up another connection between Olympia and Anfim -- there are only two how-to-use-a-cremina videos on youtube, and surprisingly both use an Anfim Best grinder!
John

bobcraige

#6: Post by bobcraige »

JB130 wrote:Probably a silly question: In the last picture you can see a metal divider that slides in and out; when in it isolates the hopper from the mouth of the grinder. What is this for? Dosing beans before grinding?
My Mazzer Mini and I am sure many other grinders have a similar door. It allows taking off the hopper with the beans still in it without them going all over the counter. This allows you do remove the beans for whatever purpose, changing coffees, cleaning, and moving the grinder for example.
Bob Craige

LMWDP #7

JB130 (original poster)

#7: Post by JB130 (original poster) »

Thanks Bob, I should have guessed.

John

Knock

#8: Post by Knock »

Hi there and congratulations!

I also have the Anfim and a Cremina, and now have no excuse to go and get myself an Olympia domestic grinder - for which my bank account thanks you. Very happy with these as a pair in terms of grind and cup result, though I'm thinking of converting from doser to chute as I really don't need the doser. That plate for closing off the hopper isn't standard for that hopper so that may be an Olympia touch.

Here's a shot of what was presumably your grinder's predecessor:

Couldn't justify the expense on this one so had to let it pass. Anyone any idea as to which manufacturer is likely to be responible for the basics on this older model?

good luck,
sneaky.
Peter Kilpatrick

ideor

#9: Post by ideor »

fiorenzato.

JB130 (original poster)

#10: Post by JB130 (original poster) »

Very nice! I am glad I did not see that one for sale, it is beautiful. And yet another Anfim-Olympia connection, this is starting to get spooky ...

John