Olympia Express 'Mocha SD' grinder offering - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
U2u

#51: Post by U2u »

Tjyven wrote:Anyone knows if these burrs are sold seperately somewhere? Is it same fit as Mazzers?
Cerini has Olympia Express Moca burrs available at present. They are almost certainly the same as the SD burrs as both grinders appear to be based on the Ditting EK 7. If you drop them a line they are quick to respond... said as a satisfied customer. Can't comment re the Mazzers.

Corgo

#52: Post by Corgo »

When you say less than 1 spray, are you talking about the rdt bottle that came with it? I have been using 2 sprays everyday with no retention issues. I do notice that 2 sprays on the rdt bottle that came with it is less than a single spray with any other rdt bottle I have used before. I have sporadically weighted my grind out and it has never been more than .1g off and I happened to have measured earlier today.

bostonbuzz

#53: Post by bostonbuzz »

Shakespeare wrote:I started this post having a question regarding what I had seen in a video about how to clean the Olympia Mocha.
In the video it was quite apparent that the grinder had a problem with the amount of old coffee grinds that were not being expelled from the area around the burrs.
FWIW It's quite obvious that the person in the video was not single dosing and did not let the grinder run until it was empty. That is, they had a hopper of beans, stopped grinding, removed the hopper, and then cleaned out the grinds. The same result would happen in every singe grinder on the market if handled in the same manner. If this person had simply run the grinder, 95%+ of those grinds would have been removed by the sweepers in the burr chamber.

Does anyone know how the grind adjustment mechanism works? I have a Swiss grinder that uses a needle that is jammed in between the burr chamber and the motor body and is, IMHO the best method of grind adjustment (Ditting 1203). Perhaps this is the same method on here? I can't find an exploded diagram anywhere.
LMWDP #353

Richard

#54: Post by Richard »

Looks very much like the internals of the (now discontinued) Mahlkonig ProM.
-- Richard

U2u

#55: Post by U2u »

Corgo wrote:When you say less than 1 spray, are you talking about the rdt bottle that came with it? I have been using 2 sprays everyday with no retention issues. I do notice that 2 sprays on the rdt bottle that came with it is less than a single spray with any other rdt bottle I have used before. I have sporadically weighted my grind out and it has never been more than .1g off and I happened to have measured earlier today.
I did a fair amount of weighing the input vs output and had excellent results as you have right up until I didn't. You are spot on questioning the RDT bottle as it is a factor... I use the same one as on my Kafatek. From Mildred. I use only a part spray on each grinder and prefer to use none when possible. The Olympia supplied bottle has a much smaller pickup tube diameter and sprayer so a full spray from it would be less than a full Mildred. Just pulled a shot, no RDT, 15.02 in, 15.02 out...
During the initial shots after tearing the grinder down it consumed about 2 grams of coffee that went in but didn't come out. Stable after three doses. No RDT used. It is an excellent grinder but this user has to get it right considering the constellation of beans and environmental variables.

Emoto

#56: Post by Emoto »

You guys mention Cerini. The one in/near NYC? (https://www.cerinicoffee.com/)How were they to deal with? I don't see the SD on their web site.

I bought a few bags of coffee from them some time back, and one arrived ground when I thought it was supposed to be whole bean. I called to ask about this, and the guy I spoke with was borderline rude despite me being polite and friendly. Not a positive interaction.

salvia

#57: Post by salvia »

Emoto wrote:I don't see the SD on their web site.
I didn't see it either when going through the menus, but it comes up if you search: https://www.cerinicoffee.com/products/olympia-moca-sd

Emoto

#58: Post by Emoto replying to salvia »

Ah! Very cool. I never thought of that.

For those of you who've bought this little grinder, how is it on grinding really finely? If I were to buy one of these, it would be for espresso only, as I have another grinder that could be used for filter, etc.

ShermanO

#59: Post by ShermanO »

I purchased one but my experience has been unimpressive so far. I received no further communication or updates, even though it was listed as in stock, and I followed up more than a week later to ask about status. I was patient since they are obviously a small importer and delivery of my LMLm is a ways out. But I was told by Johnny Cerini in a emailed response they don't actually have it in stock because the gray model I had ordered was being used as a demo. Johnny was apologetic and offered small discounts on the demo unit and on other colors, but I am baffled that they took my money but no one seemed to process the order. I elected to wait for the next shipment from Olympia in 4 to 6 weeks. There's no where else to go, of course.

Edit: I emailed Cerini this morning to switch to the white color and they instantly processed the order, with discount, and created the FedEx shipping ticket with a promise it was going out today. So the first order definitely fell through the cracks, but they are working hard to redeem the situation.

Emoto

#60: Post by Emoto replying to ShermanO »

This is good to hear. I am really intrigued by this grinder and hoping you 'll post about your experiences with it.