Olympia Express 'Mocha SD' grinder offering - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
U2u

#41: Post by U2u »

The Strietman gets up to temperature quickly so it is good first thing in the morning. The Cremina can produce endless steam in ten minutes but the SL head takes a solid thirty plus minutes to heat up. I use both for any and all drinks. I shoot for nice espresso but make enough errors to have endless stock for milk based drinks. They all taste better than what the local shops peddle. The Strietman is a tool for exploring the different aspects of making espresso.

The single dose grinders are huge for consistency and exploring different beans and roasts. This is something I lacked in five years of having a solid performing Rocket setup. Sticking with the Moca SD today and feeling good about the purchase. Working up the nerve to "reajusting the adjusting range of the grind coarseness"... The manual says "only for skilled personal". The default setup of the adjustment knob on the Moca SD doesn't give enough range at the fine end for all beans so tinkering is a necessity.

Shakespeare (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by Shakespeare (original poster) replying to U2u »

Looking forward to when you look at the burrs in the Mocha SD to gain some insight in coffee grinds stored.

The adjustable knob is easily adjusted by someone with less skill than a professional;..watch the YouTube vide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klVAFepOnUg

Do I understand correctly that you own both a Olympia Cremina and the Olympia SL.?
If so I would enjoy to hear about your impressions on their different qualities and differences.
Very interesting information on the heat time of the SL Group Head of 30 minutes.

U2u

#43: Post by U2u »

Thank you for the link.
Changing the setting is dead easy. The verbiage in the manual must be for liability issues or the like.
Adjusting the knob on the control spindle by 180 degrees CCW as Olympia documents put the grinder about midway in the control range for my currents beans. Hopefully in a range to cover all needs but only time will tell. No way you can do filter and espresso easily on these grinders because of the need to change the spindle setting. The knob design itself is something like you would expect from Webber or Apple with a couple of cylindrical magnets and locating pins. Very slick and well executed.
Eight more shots weighed in and out. Total difference over the eight was 0.05 grams to the plus with the worst shot loosing 0.07 grams.
Pulled the hopper and brushed out what could be reached plus used a Kafatek Mr Puff to clear the grinder... two times (good fit on the hopper as you can feel the air puff through the exit chute - but you must power the grinder down and open the hopper trap door). Once after six shots, once after two shots. Gobsmacked by the results. Weighed the expelled grounds and the Cinco fluctuated between 0.01 and 0.02 grams each time. The weight being basically traces and the scale being affected by the steadiness of my heavy stainless steel coffee prep table. Standing still and holding my breath the scale settled at 0.01 both times. No sign of static issues and no stray grounds.
More importantly, great tasting espresso off both the Cremina SL and Strietman CT2.
Olympia state the Moca SD is "the perfect grinder" and "without retention". Close?

Tjyven

#44: Post by Tjyven »

How would you compare the MC5 and Olympia in result in cup? Even if one is conical and the other is flat are they close in body and flavour complexity?

U2u

#45: Post by U2u »

Long answer...
The MC5 caused me to pass my Rocket R58 and Rocket Fausto along and acquire all new kit. The Kafatek is that good. It opened my eyes to new possibilities.
It gave the best espresso I have ever had then bested it when I got a Cremina SL. That with a not so skilled operator using a wide range of roasts. Only been making espresso for five years so still very much a novice.
The wife had the same taste experience.
Enter a new Strietman followed by the Moca SD. More and less dialed those two in today and didn't we get what we both thought were our second best drinks ever. Mine espresso, hers lattes. Medium filter roast. Neither shot was ground or pulled as well as I intended. Too course then too fine. Rinse and repeat.
Shorter answer...
It is looking to be so close it might come done to conical vs flat performance and the roast in use. My wife just drinks the output and that is where she is at.
While I am pursuing as good a drink as I can reasonably make I am biased towards the small builders and features from the likes of Kafatek and Strietman. The feel, sound, tolerances, warm metals and wood. The overall preparation experience ought to affect the outcome perceptions, no?
Yet the Moca SD seems uncomfortably close in taste and mouthfeel.
I will be spending the winter building skills, experimenting, and trying to answer, for myself, the very question you asked.

Tjyven

#46: Post by Tjyven »

Thank you for a good answer. Sounds like the MC5 might have a small edge in performance while the Olympia is cheaper. Love to hear your thoughts in some weeks when you have used the machines more!

Corgo

#47: Post by Corgo »

Well U2u has just convinced me to place my order. I would like to get rid of the rdt step, have smaller footprint, and better straight shots. Hope it lives up to my expectations!

Corgo

#48: Post by Corgo »

So far I have had the chance to use it 3 days and overall good experience. Some key notes that may be useful for others considering this grinder.

1. Zero retention. I measured few times and the in and outs were the same 3 different times on different days.

2. Noise is not an issue. From the descriptions that I had read, I thought it would be very loud. I think it's a higher pitch than the ceado e37sd and maybe just a tad louder but nothing I even would have noticed if I hadn't read about it.

3. Tiny footprint. It's smaller than even I expected even though I took measurements. It just feels smaller in person.

4. You can rdt. The review on coffee snob said you can't use rdt for espresso or it will choke the machine. I did 1 spray with the provided rdt bottle on 16 g of medium roast beans and no issues.

5. Grounds get to all over the place near the end of the grind without rdt. I was really hoping I could get rid of rdt steps and still looking into tall dosing funnels or multiple funnels to see if I can make that work. Currently using sworksdesign 25mm funnel but by the end of the grind it is blowing the top layer of the grind in the portafilter all over the place.

6. Not sure of Cerini coffee adjusted the grub screw but mine came ready for espresso grind already. I did not need to make adjustments as stated by other reviews and referred to page 14 in the manual. My burrs were touching at the near zero point on the grind setting as it was delivered.

7. The markings on the grind setting is difficult to read. It makes switching between beans near impossible as there is also great distance between the marker on the dial and the marker on the machine. I would be sticking with one bean only using this grinder. On the ceado e37sd, it was very clear the exact grind setting you were on.

U2u

#49: Post by U2u »

Shakespeare wrote:Looking forward to when you look at the burrs in the Mocha SD to gain some insight in coffee grinds stored.
Short version... if you didn't like what you saw in the earlier video go no further as that video applies here.

Weather conditions here caused static issues with the SD so I tried a little RDT action with good results over several days. Today the second dose of a light roast came up about 6 grams short. Thinking I under filled a bean cellar I threw a second 15 gram dose in... No output so 21 grams short was an excuse for a deep clean...

Pulled the metal work off and disassembled the burrs and removed what I felt was residue from the RDT. Cleaned the areas that I would expect, based on previous grinders owned, would retain grinds. Weighed the latter at 2.51 grams. Reassembled and weighed two shots in/out. First shot it retained 1.75 grams, second shot a further 0.18 grams, so yes there is retention but once the hiding places are filled you get back out essentially what you put in shot after shot. What is exchanged is unknown. Anyhow the grinder really looks like the older model as suspected.

Here are a couple of shots.
1) Disassembled.
2) The SD hopper mechanism.
The little flap moves on opening to close the micro switch that turns the grinder on and off. It pivots by way of the small stud at the 6 o'clock position. Engagement of that stud is very shallow and can be finicky. Probably the source of comments about the detent ball that resides at 4 o'cock on the hopper base.Now I understand why some people leave the hopper open and turn the grinder on/off with the main power switch. Maybe a future SD revision 2 will be better.
3) Retention?

The SD grinder is very well made. Everything fits well and seems of very high quality. Probably best to avoid RDT at all costs. I went very light (less than one spray per dose) and ended up choked... The grinder is easy enough to work on but you need a few good tools and the time/willingness to go through a learning curve. On reassembly the grind settings were unchanged.

Tjyven

#50: Post by Tjyven »

Anyone knows if these burrs are sold seperately somewhere? Is it same fit as Mazzers?