Olympia Express 'Mocha SD' grinder offering - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Shakespeare (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by Shakespeare (original poster) »

Corgo wrote:The moca with hopper is straight while the single dose variant is tilted. So it seems like is thoroughly redesigned for SD purpose. The reviews I saw indicate no retention issues without rdt while rdt causes beans to stick and not get grounded.
I would like to agree with you.. but I have for 2 years said no to the previous Olympia model.
. After seeing that video. And Olympia advertised that the old Mocha grinder also had .1% retention.

I have to assume that the motor and the internal design of the new Mocha SD is the same.
Until I have been shown otherwise.

It is easy and convenient to tilt and place a modified hopper single dose hopper on the old Mocha design.
Other coffee grinder companies have done similar things to their new models.

I hope that the 'Mocha SD' is different, but I have a feeling that I am going to be disappointed.

Emoto

#32: Post by Emoto replying to Shakespeare »

It sure would be nice if one made it's way into a few reviewers' hands, so we could see how well (or not) they really work.

U2u

#33: Post by U2u »

The gent on coffeeSnobs mentioned earlier in the thread now owns two SD grinders. His review was fairly good. Yesterday he listed a much higher level grinder for sale. Only a few months old, taking a big hit apparently because the output is about the same but the SD has a better footprint. The man has burnt through a lot of solid gear to get where he is. Fact he doubled up after using one for a good period speaks volumes... I am going to pair one with a Cremina SL and Strietman CT2 and get the personal experience. Going by reviews is problematic. I would very much like to see a SD pulled apart for a deep clean after a few months use. Once I land one I will try to shed some light on retention issues... dose to dose and what builds up inside. Hope it is better than the hopper version.

Corgo

#34: Post by Corgo »

Look forward to your insights. I am thinking of pairing this with a ct2 also. Currently have e37sd and have no problems with it but still interested in the moca sd.

I also saw Tom listed his hedone for sale and also made me think that the moca sd is even better than the price suggest.

LuckyMark

#35: Post by LuckyMark »

Tom also sold his EG1 recently, the EG1 is literally 3 times the price of the SD - and probably 20 times the reputation.

Shakespeare I am pretty sure one of the dealers on Coffeesnobs said there was a physical difference between the SD and hopper versions. Probably worth asking there as there seems to be a few of the grinders in Australia.

Shakespeare (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by Shakespeare (original poster) »

U2u wrote:The gent on coffeeSnobs mentioned earlier in the thread now owns two SD grinders. His review was fairly good. Yesterday he listed a much higher level grinder for sale. Only a few months old, taking a big hit apparently because the output is about the same but the SD has a better footprint. The man has burnt through a lot of solid gear to get where he is. Fact he doubled up after using one for a good period speaks volumes... I am going to pair one with a Cremina SL and Strietman CT2 and get the personal experience. Going by reviews is problematic. I would very much like to see a SD pulled apart for a deep clean after a few months use. Once I land one I will try to shed some light on retention issues... dose to dose and what builds up inside. Hope it is better than the hopper version.
Please, don't consider my previous remarks as negative... I have read fully these reviews and their positive comments about the Mocha SD.
I read the specifications listed by Olympia and if you look closely the dimensions and weights are eerily similar.
It may be as I believe without any proof that the company was not careful what was offered for print.
For example the weigh of the two Mocha flinders were almost exactly the same.
It would be terrific if you or someone would open up the grinder an share some detailed information.
We already have a video of the old Mocha grinder and it's flaws.
My hope is that the SD it is truly unique. At this point, I have nothing to base that on.
** Mark: no reason to wait a few months to pull it apart... The grinder and the burrs can be opened in 5 minutes an it would be easy to make a comparison.

U2u

#37: Post by U2u »

My new Moca SD arrived from Cerini this afternoon. Awesome service. Out with Fedex, triple boxed, within but a few minutes of being ordered. The grinder once out of the factory sealed box had to be cleaned up a little as it had been tested with a dark oily roast and shipping had distributed grounds within the plastic that protected the grinder. A fraction of a bean worth but it really got around. The amount was similar to a recently purchased Kafatek when it arrived.

Once clean and in place I ran four shots getting it close to dialled in for use with my Cremina SL. Comments here and on CoffeeSnobs helped me make an educated guess for where to start. Fourth shot was very close to what my MC5 produces with the same bean. Measuring the beans in and out with an Acaia Cinco the Kafatek is within 0.1 gram at worst (using RDT due to static) and often less.

The first two shots through the SD caused the disappearance of some grounds... retained somewhere within. The last two shots gave a little back and took a little away for >< a draw. No RDT needed.

In, Out, Difference:

15.02 14.27 - 0.75
14.97 14.80 - 0.17
15.11 15.22 + 0.11
15.06 14.95 - 0.09

Caffinated out for the day but off to a good start.
SD is not as loud as I feared it might be. Didn't bother the spouse working about ten feet away.
It is fast but I admittedly really enjoy the slower pace of my MC5 and its low confidence inspiring hum.
No need to RDT with the SD in our dry winter air is a treat.

If the shot to shot retention changes I will post again. Otherwise I will wait until a teardown for cleaning.

Corgo

#38: Post by Corgo »

Thanks for the first impressions! If you had to pick between the kafatek and moca sd, which would you pick? Have you tried it with the street man? And side question, how do you like the knockbox? I have the mini bee like one that I live for the size and easy of use but it makes it impossible to examine my puck unless I dig it out. Thanks!

U2u

#39: Post by U2u »

The SD is a supplement to the Kafatek. While the SD is very well built and is off to a good start I don't see it as being on par. Mass produced vs small operator building to the extreme. Main reason (excuse for toys?) for the SD is I forget to change the grinder settings too often moving between the Cremina and Strietman... That and no room for a Monolith Flat or Max. Plus the Kafatek is so easy to use and so easy to reliably switch grinds to and fro I fear I may get bored. The SD, aside from single dosing, is generally a good fit for my use and tastes and I hope will pair well with its mate. The grinders are a form of opposites as are the two levers. Full manual vs spring assist. The Kafatek will be serving the Strietman much of the time. Those two paired are awesome first thing in the morning when the Cremina is still warming up. I will be using the SD with the Strietman from time to time in order to explore its potential.

For knock boxes I just moved to the smaller open one. Easier to empty and keep clean. The pucks off the levers are dry so easy to handle and examine as desired. The drawer style work fine but are more work overall. I use them for convenient storage of tools and spares for the coffee gear. One of them places the Cremina at a better height for ease of use.

Starspawn2318

#40: Post by Starspawn2318 replying to U2u »

Curious what scenarios you use the Strietman for vs the Cremina? Is it just milk drinks?