Olympia Express 'Mocha SD' grinder offering - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BodieZoffa

#11: Post by BodieZoffa »

EvanOz85 wrote:Over $1,400 USD and no variable RPM? Hard pass.
Certainly don't consider variable RPM to be a game changer, but it is one nice thing with hand grinding as small changes can be made just by variable cranking...

EvanOz85

#12: Post by EvanOz85 replying to BodieZoffa »

Do you own a variable RPM grinder?

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#13: Post by Jeff »

Option-O P64 is the current standard.

The forthcoming Acaia Orbit is slated to have variable RPM.

Some of the Asian ODMs' grinders have variable RPM, such as the JT64 and H[A|B]64.

graphidz

#14: Post by graphidz »

I just love that tiny design. I do hope a lot of the asking price goes to the tolerance and alignment, other than the design. Hoping for reviews to come soon.

BodieZoffa

#15: Post by BodieZoffa »

EvanOz85 wrote:Do you own a variable RPM grinder?
Yep as in a Helor 106, totally variable RPM by design!

drH

#16: Post by drH »

I see the value in variable RPM for those wishing to experiment and test the limits with light roasts, but I'm not looking for another variable to tweak.

I expect that this version of the Moca has similar internals to the previous one. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if the burr carrier and grinding chamber are different. But, simply tilting the grinder and changing the anti-static flap so as not to hold back so much grounds will be good improvements. I liked the hopper version so I expect to like this better. It's also shorter and the design is beautiful- that's enough for me.

bas

#17: Post by bas »

Olympia seems to be doing the same trick as Eureka did with the XL to creat the SD: tilting the grinder and redesigning the chute. Would be great if there is no need for bellows.

Interestingly the new P version of the DF64 will not be tilted anymore....

Advertisement
EvanOz85

#18: Post by EvanOz85 »

BodieZoffa wrote:Yep as in a Helor 106, totally variable RPM by design!
I meant electric. The gearing down and manual nature of the Helor doesn't really any room for much variability as you can never reach high RPMs anyways. I find the feature invaluable on my MAX.

BodieZoffa

#19: Post by BodieZoffa replying to EvanOz85 »

Well I have timed/counted from cranking 1 RPS (rev per second) of the handle to really cranking around 4 RPS and it does make a noticeable difference. I always get a finer grind cranking slower, but too slow and the burrs tend to bite into the beans and slows things. A bit off topic, but holding the 106 straight up seriously affects feed rate/fineness compared to holding around a 40-45 degree angle.

I honestly think some overthink variable RPM, burr type, flow control, preinfusion, etc. as there are lots of changing variables with espresso and often it's better to just focus on 'good/consistent enough' than chasing your tail for that final .0005% of perfection as the next day will be totally different anyway.

Emoto

#20: Post by Emoto »

Looking forward to reviews!