Old Nuova Simonelli MCD75(?) wiring schematic?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
espressonut

#1: Post by espressonut »

Hey folks, I have a doozy of a question.

I recently picked up what I believe is an old Nuova Simonelli MCD-75 for cheap. The seller claimed that it kept blowing capacitors, and he was correct. I popped the bottom open to take a look, and was left completely perplexed. It appears to have been originally wired for 240V, but converted for use on 120V. It contains two capacitors, a large one that is rated for 250V, 50/60hz, and the rest of the writing is worn off. The second capacitor is the one that keeps blowing, and is physically smaller in size and rated for 250V, 50/60hz, 16uf. I swapped that capacitor out with a new one, but it continues to blow. I am assuming that the larger capacitor is the start capacitor, and the small is the run. Interestingly, when I completely disconnect the small capacitor and tape the leads up, the machine starts and runs smoothly.

A wiring schematic for this machine would greatly help, and if anyone could provide one I would be forever grateful. I have a included a self made wiring chart, which is below.

Or, if someone could answer these questions:

Is there any risk by disconnecting the small capacitor and taping the wires up? Am I only using one of the motors coils?

Would I blow the motor if I removed the small capacitor completely and connected the wires together?

Thanks!