OE Pharos 2.0 help

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
EspressYO_

#1: Post by EspressYO_ »

So I received my OE Pharos 2.0 last week and absolutely love it. I think the workflow isn't bad at all the the grind quality is great. The only problem I'm having is the handle is an absolute beast to turn. Granted.. I'm using light roast and grinding for espresso but I literally can only move the handle quarter turns at a time. I've tried numerous different ways of holding it. Could this be a problem with the grinder or is this normal and I should just start thinking of ways to motorize it. As weird as it sounds I definitely have stronger hands than most people so really don't think I'm physically incapable. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've gone through almost all of the 130 page thread about the Pharos but haven't really found definitive solutions.

MNate
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by MNate »

Yeah, I think the Pharos is great too. You'll figure out your best way. Light roasts are difficult, dark roasts actually become super easy.

The key thing, I think, is really pressing down with the left hand to keep it firmly situated. The right hand (crank hand) should just turn the crank without downward pressure. So getting some sort of bench dogs or for me, a fast woodworking clamp, that can keep the Pharos in place really really helps. I think I remember someone bent the crank a bit because of pushing down on that. So yeah, when I used it all the time I definitely clamped it down. Instead of motorizing, check out how people have mounted them or even the HG-1 for ideas. With version 1 you had to remove the grounds from the bottom so you always had to remove the clamps but with version 2 you could just leave it mounted down somewhere.

That's about all the help I can give!

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
EspressYO_ (original poster)

#3: Post by EspressYO_ (original poster) »

Much appreciated! I definitely think clamping it down would help. My left hand is super bruised from holding it down so hard. And I can definitely see it being damaged by pressing down on the handle too hard. Perhaps I'll try the bench dogs.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

I use bench dogs with both of my Pharos.

One thing is to not press down on the handle when turning the crank. I found that is the natural thing to do but makes things worse. Try to just spin the knob, and let the other hand hold the grinder in place.

But yes, I think that the Pharos - or any grinder with aggressive burrs - has to be clamped down somehow with lighter roasts. The same was true of the HG-1 that I used to have, or the Apex that I have now. I'm drinking a 'Nordic' roast right now, and it's a PITA with my small conical burr hand grinders that have burrs originally designed for a powered grinder. I couldn't imagine the pain if I was cranking that roast with an un-clamped Pharos.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

canatto

#5: Post by canatto »

Pharos V1.1 owner here, a happy one too. When dealing with light roast beans, if I find me struggling, I'd go to my workshop and clamp the thing hard down with two C-clamps on a bench, then crank with both hands.

For "usual" beans, I clamp the Pharos with one small , 3-inch C-clamp to the edge of the kitchen counter, and hold it down by hand on the opposite side to make it secure and stable.

If the "usual" bean is on the hard side, I would grip hard on the crank handle, and that would help me concentrate and deliver the circular drive better.

I do not press the crank handle downwards.

It's important to not struggle. When we struggle we lose precision in muscle power and concentration in mind that are needed to maintain a good continuous circular drive and motion, which in turn makes the struggle worse.

lucasd

#6: Post by lucasd »

Get medium or big woodworking clamp and install thrust bearing (search forum).

Recently I added something like NFC disc in Niche, it improves both outputs and makes it much easier to grind.
However, it is tricky to make it work perfectly and hold it in place (I use the springs).

The final recommendation is to remove the bottom plate and add magnets to hold the cup. Otherwise might be hard to clamp.

mainframer

#7: Post by mainframer »

I have the 1.0 Pharos (tenth anniversary next month) and use it for drip or pourover with a drip-size burr setting that I have not changed. I am a home-roaster and try to stay with medium roasts. It takes two rounds of grinding for my daily morning coffee. That would amount to more than 7000 times of loading and grinding. For a long time, I was lap-grinding and steadied the grinder against the inside of my left knee. I eventually bought bench dogs to save myself from probable knee surgery.

You can read Mr. Garrott's deep dive manual on OE's new OG grinder, and he discusses the issue of the holding hand. I wear a medium-thickness work glove on my holding hand to improve its grip. With the most difficult coffees, it is not unusual to be stuck at one-quarter turns over and over, but I try to get as much momentum as possible and grit through them. It helps slightly to lengthen my arm as if it were extending the handle.

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
guyy

#8: Post by guyy »

I drink a fair amount of light roasts. They're definitely harder to crank out on my Pharos. I might stop and start a few times. Still, most of my effort goes into keeping the Pharos steady with my left hand. (No place in my NYC kitchen to clamp the thing down or for a dog). I'm very happy with my Pharos after two years of use.

nameisjoey

#9: Post by nameisjoey »

Grinding light roasts isn't too big of an issue with this setup. Plus it all stores away and out of site real easy to make the wife happy.

Wowthodoris

#10: Post by Wowthodoris »

After some uses the grinding becomes easier, it's still new blades so it's normal to need more strength than usual. Also fresh beans means coarser grind, so try to find something like 2 weeks roasted beans. Furthermore you can asked the roaster witch specialty coffee to choose, some coffee are harder than others.