Nuova Simonelli MDX doserless mod - need help

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tall_paul

#1: Post by tall_paul »

Looking for a good write up to make my MDX doserless... I'm doing this for single shot use.

Ive searched all over and havent found the exact answers I am looking for. Mainly, I am worried about how I can remove the area between the doser and the burrs, lots of grinds get stuck in there. This is why I'd like to convert to doserless. I want to simplify the whole thing.

Can anyone tell me if parts 15050034 and 150050035 from the on-demand version would fit on? This would take out a lot of headache for me.
http://www.nuovadistribution.com/images ... DEMAND.pdf
Hearing first-hand how this worked would be great.

I found these but they dont exactly address my question.
Project MDX Bling!
Nuova Simonelli MDX - Mazzer Super Jolly alternative

All of the links in this one have expired
https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... nes/216671

wanted to post a few links to past posts so nobody comes on and asks if I have tried searching or throws out the classic "there are lots of posts on this" and then doesnt provide links to any of them. If your search skills are so great, please back it up with a demonstration.

Scott_G

#2: Post by Scott_G »

The diagrams for the doser and on-demand grinders list the same part number for the body. It should fit, but I don't see a bracket to hold the chute to the grinder. This might be a simple fix, but I haven't ventured to find out yet either.

EDIT: You also mentioned the height of the hopper in another thread. Espresso Parts states that the Eureka short hopper will fit the MDX, but they're charging 2.5x the price of other vendors who don't mention this...
http://www.espressoparts.com/eureka-zen ... r-complete - $126
http://clivecoffee.com/product/eureka-short-hopper/ - $50

gdurham

#3: Post by gdurham »

Just a heads up, I just ordered the parts for my MDX and should be delivered tomorrow. Here's to hoping it works. After talking to an engineer, it sounds like the chute design has changed between the mdx and the on-demand model so some hacking may be required.

Parts ordered:
15050046 (new version of 34)

Do you have really bad retention in the chute currently? I do and it appears to get better once I add a few drops of water to my beans in the hopper. I wonder how the retention will be once I install these parts. Does anyone know how the current on-demand model does with regards to retention?

Thanks!
Greg

Scott_G

#4: Post by Scott_G »

gdurham wrote:Just a heads up, I just ordered the parts for my MDX and should be delivered tomorrow. Here's to hoping it works.
Thank you! :D Please post a few pics of the process too.

Where did you order the parts from?

gdurham

#5: Post by gdurham »

Ok, so it came in. I unscrewed the dosing chamber and then removed the bottom in order to get to the nuts holding the doser and fork to the grinder.

Sorry for all of the terrible quality pictures. Based on what I see this appears to direct the grinds through a smaller chute. Clumping and static are def issues with this setup. I ground 15g through and came out with 7.7g, after grinding another 15g I got right around 15g out. Based on what I have read, retention with the on-demand grinders. I expect this to be the case here as well. I'll know how the coffee tastes tomorrow coming out, couldn't pull a shot this evening. I think that the first shot will be bad and hopefully subsequent shots come out good. Does anyone have thoughts on the retention?

gdurham

#6: Post by gdurham »

Long story short, it fits. I need to find a screw to put them together(temporarily using tape) hopefully this works better than my obsessive cleaning ritual for single dosing. :D

gdurham

#7: Post by gdurham »

Forgot to mention, I purchased directly from nuova somonelli. http://www.nuovadistribution.com/order_page.htm

Called them after placing my order and paid. If the order is placed before 3pm pst it ships same day. Some parts are not available yet here in the US and they backorder things from Italy.

ejs

#8: Post by ejs »

Does anyone have any other examples of converting the MDX to doserless?

I have been playing around with ideas for a few months, but cant find or make something that looks factory.

I am not a big fan of those 'fudge funnels' they are pretty big, I'd rather have a small chute.

Not sure if anyone makes a direct bolt on.

Scott_G

#9: Post by Scott_G »

I requested an exit chute assembly and funnel for the NS G60 from Nuova Distribution. Hopefully I can try it out in a month or so. If it works, it would be a nice mod to the MDX.

sprin001

#10: Post by sprin001 »

Following this one. Please let me know what you all come up with and I may follow suit. So far, very impressed with the quality of grind.