Nuova Simonelli MDX Burr Alignment

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mainlyespresso

#1: Post by mainlyespresso »

Hi,
I noticed another thread on here with a similar problem a few years ago but it didn't have a resolution.
I recently purchased a Nuova Simonelli MDX grinder second hand that was very clean and looked to be in very good condition.
Unfortunately I am unable to grind fine enough for espresso as the burrs touch significantly as I adjust the setting finer.
The burrs looked to be very worn and I replaced with a new set that are, as expected, noticeably sharper, but I still have the same issue.
The spindle is dead straight and when spinning between calipers I can detect no wobble.
The top burr carrier also looks to be in good condition with no damage or deformation.
The amount of mis-alignment seems too much to be compensated for with shims.

From it's level of cleanliness my guess (hope) is that it was pulled apart and re-assembled incorrectly - is this even possible?
As the motor is moved on these when adjusting for grind, is this the most likely place to have an issue?
Are the motor mounts adjustable?

Before I go ahead and dis-assemble myself I thought I'd check to see if anyone else had suggestions for the burr alignment issue.
Thanks