Nuova Simonelli MCF grinder: removing the doser?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
timo888

#1: Post by timo888 »

Can the doser on the Nuova Simonelli MCF grinder be removed simply by taking out the screw on either side of the chute so that it is then pulled forward, away from the machine? Anything backing those screws inside the machine?
Thanks
Timo

mogogear

#2: Post by mogogear replying to timo888 »

You again,...... :) I have a MCF and I backed them out almost halfway, the doser stayed firmly attached. So more needs to be done to remove, sorry. You did get me thinking, now back to sleep
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

timo888 (original poster)

#3: Post by timo888 (original poster) »

Found out from NS USA that you have to remove two tiny screws underneath the doser, to remove the bottom plate, exposing two additional bolts. Then the doser will pull away.

I am going to try to fabricate ( :roll: ) a simple cylinder-above-cone style chute following the same dimensions as the doser, so the doser lid can be reused. A cell-phone in vibrate mode will be strapped to the side of the chute so that grounds can be dislodged simply by placing a phone call.

Regards
Timo

lino

#4: Post by lino »

If you are serious about the vibrating and don't want to add your grinder to your "friends and family" list with your phone company, you can do a search for vibrator motors on ebay.

You need to ignore the 3/4ths of the result that are in the "adult" section, then the rest should be the micro motors with eccentric weight, such as is used in cell phones etc. I recently bought 10 of them for 8 bucks -- for a similar application. I'd probably have taken your approach, but I live in the boonies and there is no cell service at my house...

ciao

lino

mogogear

#5: Post by mogogear »

timo888 wrote:Found out from NS USA that you have to remove two tiny screws underneath the doser, to remove the bottom plate, exposing two additional bolts. Then the doser will pull away.

I am going to try to fabricate ( :roll: ) a simple cylinder-above-cone style chute following the same dimensions as the doser, so the doser lid can be reused. A cell-phone in vibrate mode will be strapped to the side of the chute so that grounds can be dislodged simply by placing a phone call.

Regards
Timo
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats the best idea yet!!

P.s. I look forward to ordering some Peppina seals from you soon. I also spread the word to Happy Tamper- he is going to be rebuilding his new La Peppina as is a new espresso friend I made from the European coffe group -TooMuchCoffee goes by the name Zapty- from the Netherlands( I actually think he jpoined our group too). Hopefully we can get your stock whittled down a little!!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

#6: Post by timo888 (original poster) »

lino wrote:If you are serious about the vibrating ... you can do a search for vibrator motors on ebay .... the micro motors with eccentric weight, such as is used in cell phones etc. I recently bought 10 of them for 8 bucks -- for a similar application.
Thanks, Lino. Can't pass up a deal like that! I wonder if these vibrating motors could also be used to settle the coffee in the filter basket :idea: I must try to incorporate them into my telescoping basket stand.

Regards
Timo

#7: Post by timo888 (original poster) »

mogogear wrote:I look forward to ordering some Peppina seals from you soon.
You'd better act soon. I'm in negotiations with Martha Stewart ... she's interested in taking those washer-earrings I told you about national, maybe even international, and I'll be tied up trying to meet the demand. They're damn sexy in their suppleness and understated simplicity. Stare too long and you'll be hypnotized :shock:

Hogfire

#8: Post by Hogfire »

Oi chappies,

Have you enquired to NS USA if you can order the doserless spout from them? I've got an NS MCI I use at work, and I love it as much as the Mazzer Super Jolly I use at home. Same grind quality and grind micro-tuning in a damn finely constructed machine that's about 1/3 the size and weight of the Mazzer. Using the Weiss distribution technique I read about on this site, I honestly can't tell any difference in cup quality between the massive Mazzer and the compact NS. I recall having a look at some schematics for this grinder, and it appears that the body used for the doserless and doser models is the same. Might be a worthwhile route to explore if it doesn't cost a fortune. Doserless model works a treat, and looks rather handsome as well! Plus, I think this must be the most quiet grinder I've ever experienced.

Mogogear, I'm going to start job-hunting in Portland soon, see you around?

Hogfire (never did edit my signature to include the MCI)
LMWDP #023

mogogear

#9: Post by mogogear »

Hogfire wrote:Oi chappies,

H

Mogogear, I'm going to start job-hunting in Portland soon, see you around?

Hogfire (never did edit my signature to include the MCI)
Welcome to town, I'll be happy to help out. I'm in foodservice sales - long time in beverage sytems and products for anything from aircraft carriers to nursing homes. Got friends in many many other fields. Feel free to contact me when it happens . I give the low down on what parts of town to check out etc. It is a great town for micro brewers / coffee/ outdoors, they actually all tie for first place!! I moved here from Texas almost 10 years ago- should have been here 30 years ago!!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

#10: Post by timo888 (original poster) »

Hogfire wrote:Have you enquired to NS USA if you can order the doserless spout from them?
Give me a little credit :) I spoke with Ben at NS Distribution (they have no spare parts now that these models have been discontinued) and I wrote to ContiValerio/Eureka in Italy (possibile convertire MCF --> MCI? disponibile il scivolo/ il becco del MCI come ricambio? ) who manufactured this great little grinder. ContiValerio has acknowledged receipt of my email but so far nothing else. Maybe my crummy Italian didn't make any sense to them.
Regards
Timo