Nordic Roasts and grinder wear/damage?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

I have never tried Nordic roast coffee, but would like to try it. I am thinking about ordering Wendelboe or Sey coffee. My hesitation is that when I ordered my grinder, an 804 Ditting with cast Sweet burrs, the Ditting person warned against grinding ultra light roasts. She did not use the term Nordic, because when I asked about Nordic, she was not familiar with the term. She called it ultra light or something similar. She said Ditting recommended against grinding such light roasts. She implied it might be okay from time to time but not something I would want to consistently grind - that is my assumption from a year old conversation so she might not have meant that and instead meant to never grind it. Either way I am cautious about grinding it at all.

Is Nordic roasted coffee so hard that it could harm, or excessively wear grinders?

keno

#2: Post by keno »

I wouldn't worry about the burrs. They are rated for 8000 pounds of coffee. Lighter roasts and finer grinds may result in a marginal decrease in longevity. But assuming you grind a couple of pounds of coffee a week (100 pounds a year) it would take you 80 years to wear out the burrs. It could however be that grinding lighter roasted coffee puts more stress on the motor. Given that this is a bulk grinder you may not want to continuously grind large quantities of light roasted coffee which could overheat the motor. I'd ask for clarification from Ditting, but I think the burrs should be fine. Many of us grind light Nordic style roasts on cheap Baratza grinders and they handle it fine for home use.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

The Ditting person was probably thinking of 'white' ultra-light-roasted coffee, which seems to have become a health food trend in the USA. 'White' coffee will strain the motor on any normal shop coffee grinder.

Sey or Wendelboe are much darker (relatively) and won't cause issues.

('White' coffee is coffee that is dropped before first crack to maximize preservation of 'good' acids. I've had it once - I ordered it by mistake (and I ended up re-roasting it, and getting first crack!). If you want an idea of how 'white' coffee tastes, Tom @ Sweet Maria's did a super-interesting video cupping over 10 years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OGFui3_5YU )
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

My impression is that shop grinders are "expected" by their manufacturers to run more coffee in a week, or even a day, than most home users run in a year. Their concerns might be around either or both burr wear and heat dissipation.

On a home grinder with smaller burr sets, a smaller motor, perhaps a gear train, and thermal design for a cup at a time, for a few cups in a session, "white", "cinnamon", or even "Nordic" roasts could be a meaningful concern. As an example, though my Compak K10 burrs are rated for 1200 kg, the smaller Baratza burrs are in the 225-450 kg range.

Acavia (original poster)

#5: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

Ironic. I searched for my grinder and Nordic roast as search terms and one of the first results was the Nordic Barsita Cup tournament where my grinder was one of three that was allowed for the competition - the competing baristas could only use on of those three grinders:

https://nordicbaristacup.com/2013/06/20 ... ter-rules/

malling

#6: Post by malling »

Acavia wrote:I have never tried Nordic roast coffee, but would like to try it. I am thinking about ordering Wendelboe or Sey coffee. My hesitation is that when I ordered my grinder, an 804 Ditting with cast Sweet burrs, the Ditting person warned against grinding ultra light roasts. She did not use the term Nordic, because when I asked about Nordic, she was not familiar with the term. She called it ultra light or something similar. She said Ditting recommended against grinding such light roasts. She implied it might be okay from time to time but not something I would want to consistently grind - that is my assumption from a year old conversation so she might not have meant that and instead meant to never grind it. Either way I am cautious about grinding it at all.

Is Nordic roasted coffee so hard that it could harm, or excessively wear grinders?
Is it the Peak or are we talking 804 grinder?

Peak has problems with ultra light/Nordic roasts, just like the K30's before it (and allot of others from different manufacturers), so I have heard a similar warning about those specific grinders before. But be aware the warning is for use in a commercial environment, not in a home setting, so it should be no problem with using the lightest of roasts.

However neither 804 or 807 series should have those issues, there are a few cafes in my area that run these for both filter and spro with Nordic roast, they have experienced no issues, in fact they say they had fewer issues with those grinders then any other grinder they had before. So I would no be worried, your not gonna run these like a cafe, and people do use Nordic Roast in much less capable grinders. However it might shorten the lifespan of the grinder, but your probably never going to get near its max in a single lifetime, even if it reduces lifespan.

Acavia (original poster)

#7: Post by Acavia (original poster) replying to malling »

Kr804 but with Sweet burrs. Someone from Wendelboe replied that it is same grinder they use. He recommended running it before pouring beans into it for single dosing, not as any preventive caution, but he said it would make a more uniform grind. I used to grind that way but started putting beans in first. It never crossed my mind but it makes sense it would be more uniform sense the first few beans would get ground at a different speed and torque as most of the other beans if you put beans in first. Plus easier on grinder to turn on first, so I will go back to that.

vickeryj

#8: Post by vickeryj »

I have a much lesser grinder, a Eureka Mignon Specialita, and am currently pulling a Sey Burundi that keeps overpowering it. I turn it on with coffee in it, dial it finer, and then when I start it again at that setting the motor won't turn on unless I make the grind coarser.

Which is to say, here's an example of a Nordic roast being hard on a grinder.

malling

#9: Post by malling »

Acavia wrote:Kr804 but with Sweet burrs. Someone from Wendelboe replied that it is same grinder they use. He recommended running it before pouring beans into it for single dosing, not as any preventive caution, but he said it would make a more uniform grind. I used to grind that way but started putting beans in first. It never crossed my mind but it makes sense it would be more uniform sense the first few beans would get ground at a different speed and torque as most of the other beans if you put beans in first. Plus easier on grinder to turn on first, so I will go back to that.
Yeah it's a good idea to turn it on before dumping the beans into the grinder, I have done this ever since I started SD. Yes there are theories that it deliver a more uniform grind, however I don't think it's been completely proved yet, and how the bean is fed to the burrs might also play a part.

Nate42

#10: Post by Nate42 »

I recently made my first try at Wendelboe coffee, and the espresso roast while light is still well developed, I can't see it harming burrs. I also bought some Kenya filter roast which I experimented with as espresso. That's definitely lighter and took noticeably longer to grind but my Monolith didn't seem to have any trouble with it. It only stands to reason that lighter/harder beans will wear burrs faster than darker ones, but the rated lifetime is so long I am not too worried about it. I will probably replace my burrs due to upradeitis long before they actually need it.

Much of what is being described above sounds like motor issues rather than burr issues. Obviously you want to avoid anything that will stall your motor, and in some cases turning the grinder on before you add beans will help, but none of that necessarily correlates with premature burr wear.
★ Helpful