Nordic Roasts and grinder wear/damage? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Tj.

#11: Post by Tj. »

malling wrote:Yeah it's a good idea to turn it on before dumping the beans into the grinder, I have done this ever since I started SD. Yes there are theories that it deliver a more uniform grind, however I don't think it's been completely proved yet, and how the bean is fed to the burrs might also play a part.
We do know for that rpm adjusts grind size quite significantly with faster burrs creating a finer grind. So the real question is how fast does the grinder get up to speed with beans in it.

Acavia will be happy with the 804 for sure. I agree Ditting was probably talking about dried/unroasted/undeveloped/"white" coffee. Nothing from Sey, TW, or any of the coffee roasters I know of will make that grinder sweat.
Acavia wrote:Kr804 but with Sweet burrs. Someone from Wendelboe replied that it is same grinder they use. He recommended running it before pouring beans into it for single dosing, not as any preventive caution, but he said it would make a more uniform grind. I used to grind that way but started putting beans in first. It never crossed my mind but it makes sense it would be more uniform sense the first few beans would get ground at a different speed and torque as most of the other beans if you put beans in first. Plus easier on grinder to turn on first, so I will go back to that.
A recommendation from TW to turn it on first is enough to convince me but I know my coffees are excellent either way.

malling

#12: Post by malling »

Tj. wrote:We do know for that rpm adjusts grind size quite significantly with faster burrs creating a finer grind. So the real question is how fast does the grinder get up to speed with beans in it.

Acavia will be happy with the 804 for sure. I agree Ditting was probably talking about dried/unroasted/undeveloped/"white" coffee. Nothing from Sey, TW, or any of the coffee roasters I know of will make that grinder sweat.

A recommendation from TW to turn it on first is enough to convince me but I know my coffees are excellent either way.
The Bulks from Mahlkonig and Ditting that I tried ramped up to full speed within a second, the EK had quite a long bean feeder so the burrs might already be at full speed before the beans hit or only after a few get in contact with the burrs. Hower the 804 burrs is mounted in the other direction, so I suspect that it might have a bigger impact, how much is really the question. I only tried it with the EK and I never noticed any real difference in drawdown or in flowrate when I occasionally forgot to turn the grinder on, but then the beans aren't poured directly into the burrs in that type of grinder design.

It's true RPM has an impact, but the speed of feeding the the burrs has also been proved to impact performance, this is quite clear when using different burrcarrier/feeder on the EK. How much of an impact that 1sec. has is however the real question.

Acavia (original poster)

#13: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

I was in such a habit of putting beans into hopper before running it, that today when I turned it on first, I forgot to hold the collection jar to the spout as I poured the bans into the hopper, but put one up quickly when I saw grinds flying out. I was surprised I only lost about 1g of beans as fast as my grinder grinds.

Ill get back into the muscle-memory of doing it right but I am think about putting, could use Velcro, a plastic cup/something that is flared out so beans would roll out of it, laterally placed on the lid, then I could fill it, turn on grinder and close lid to have the beans slide out of it. Otherwise I have to have the lid lay on my bean cup to come down as I pour them. If the lid stayed open, beans often ping out of it.

Anyone done something like that? Otherwise I need to get a base to hold the collection jar in place, I have the KR 804 with Sweet burrs not actual Lab Sweet remember, so I can have a free hand.