Noisy La Cimbali Max Hybrid

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
fnacer

#1: Post by fnacer »

I have a used La Cimbali Max Hybrid that I got when I bought an espresso machine several weeks ago. When I turned it on, the motor would spin for a fraction of a second then stop. I removed the hopper and found that the burrs were caked solid with grounds and Grindz.

I removed the flat burrs, cleaned everything and tried the motor. It and the conical burr spun just fine but the noise was unbearable (about the volume of a Vitamix blender on high speed). This isn't normal, is it? If not, any ideas on what the problem may be and how I go about quieting the motor?

ps: Anyone have a manual for this they can share? Thanks.

civ

#2: Post by civ »

Hello:
fnacer wrote: ... a used La Cimbali Max Hybrid that I got ...
Generally speaking (YMMV) buying a second hand grinder without knowing it's use and service history means having to carry out a mandatory clean-up/service routine.

And even then you may get a surprise or two.

My ca. 2000 Cimbali Max, which was practically new when I purchased it, actually jammed due to a bad lower bearing after less than 1.5 kg. of coffee through it's burrs. When I opened it up to change both bearings (no sense changing just one) I had to also tidy up a few manufacturing oversights, among them the one that affected one or two production runs and caused it to walk the counter while grinding.

WRT the bearings there's nothing special about them: they are one of the most common off the shelf specs and any machine/motor shop with a modicum of self respect will carry them.

In any case, a search here at HB will get you a whole lot of data/advice/photos, etc. to help you out.
fnacer wrote:This isn't normal, is it?
Actually, normal is a statistics term. =-)

But it really depends on the grinder motor and design.

Some grinders just have noisier motors than others and in a grinder such as the Max 'noise' is probably not a factor that is taken into consideration when designing it. ie: it is a commercial coffee grinder to be used in a commercial environment.

I suggest (after making sure it is unplugged) taking the whole burr assembly apart, cleaning it up thoroughly and inspecting it to see if there's anything amiss.

Must take into account that the nut holding the lower burr carrier (lower flat and lower conical) is of the left hand variety. If damaged or lost it's hard to source and probably expensive if purchased from Cimbali, like all Cimbali OEM parts.

With the burr assembly out of the grinder, plug it in and turn it on to see if it makes any strange sounds.
You should just hear it purr along evenly but not silently.
fnacer wrote:... how I go about quieting the motor?
There are three possible sources of 'noise' from the grinder while in operation:

1. the motor itself.
2. the grinding of the beans. (just beans and not a foreign object that somehow fell in the hopper).
3. something loose inside and rattling against the chassis/body.
4. bad bearings.

1. and 2. are what they are and I don't think they can be mitigated, 3. means trouble which can go from negligible to severe and 4. means taking it apart to change both bearings.
fnacer wrote: ... a manual for this they can share?
Here's a link to a purveyor of many things coffee that has an exploded view on-line:
http://www.cafeparts.com/SubCatDiagram.asp?cid=2847

Here's a link to a schematic that DRM (actual manufacturer of the Max and others) kindly sent me:
userpix/2695_img469_3.jpg

Bear in mind that this schematic (WRT my ca. 2000 Max) does not include a fuse which mine has.

Cheers,

CIV

fnacer (original poster)

#3: Post by fnacer (original poster) »

Thank you, CIV. That's very helpful. I especially appreciate the clue regarding the unusual nut. I had tried to take that off and could not figure out why it would not budge. It and the conical burr is off now and the grinder is still as noisy as ever. I'll take the rest of the grinder apart and see if the bearings need to be replaced.

civ

#4: Post by civ »

Hello:
fnacer wrote:Thank you ...
You're welcome.
fnacer wrote:... appreciate the clue regarding the unusual nut.
It's really not unusual.
It would eventually come loose if it is not held in the opposite sense.
The lower burr carrier also has a short pin to lock it into the motor's axle, don't lose it.
fnacer wrote: ... tried to take that off and could not figure out why ...
Been there, done that too. =-)
fnacer wrote: ... conical burr is off now and the grinder is still as noisy as ever.
OK.

Have you taken off the lower burr carrier?
Is it a grinding noise or a rattling noise?
If you slowly spin the motor's axle by hand, do you hear any noise?
Do you feel like anything is jamming the movement or is it smooth?

If it is a grinding noise it the bearings. If it rattles it's probably something loose inside.

Whatever it is, the next part is a bit more difficult as you have to take the casing off.
IIRC can be done without disassembling the doser, which is a major pain.
fnacer wrote:... the grinder apart and see if the bearings need to be replaced.
If you take the grinder totally apart it would make no sense not to change the bearings.

Would you take down a car's gearbox and not do thrust bearing replacement?

It would be a good thing if you posted a few photos of the grinder in its present state.

Cheers,

CIV

zix

#5: Post by zix »

fnacer, if you want, you can have my old Cimbali Max, which I never managed to get new flat burrs for - it is perfectly good for parts salvage, but it has one broken foot (got broken in transport and the salesman wouldn't let me return it, which put me off the entire project TBH, I found that making a new mold was just too much work - for me).
So the Max is in parts, and I haven't had the time to go through the refurbishing process, would send it that way too. I also have a new auger burr for it. But no new flat burrs.
LMWDP #047

fnacer (original poster)

#6: Post by fnacer (original poster) »

@civ and @zix, my apologies for dropping off the thread. Life interfered and I ended up putting aside the Max project.

I have since bought a Baratza 270wi and I find it to be convenient enough for day to day use compared to the Mazzer Mini that I was using. So, the Max will likely go to someone who needs the parts and is closer to me in Colorado than to zix in Sweden.

zix

#7: Post by zix »

No probs! As you may have noticed, I dropped off too. Life here as well.
LMWDP #047

#8: Post by 8899 »

fnacer wrote:.....but the noise was unbearable (about the volume of a Vitamix blender on high speed). This isn't normal, is it?
When compared to other grinders, especially newer high-end grinders, the La Cimbali Max Hybrid is a loud grinder for sure.

#9: Post by 8899 »

fnacer wrote:but the noise was unbearable (about the volume of a Vitamix blender on high speed). This isn't normal, is it?
The Max Hybrid is a load grinder for sure!