Niche Zero: want to optimize workflow

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Wondercough

#1: Post by Wondercough »

Hi there

Am happy to possess the niche zero along with an ascaso duo pid. Now that I moved over to single dosing though, I have some challenges in terms of workflow and would love some practical recommendations on how to optimize my workflow.

My main challenges are the following ones:
1) I grind directly into the cup provided by niche zero and then put this cup into the portafilter upside down, shake it a bit to ensure a more uniform distribution. Result: I have a few mm of free space between the rim of my portafilter and the coffee, as the cup cut leaves a big mark. This can create channeling. So I want to find a better workflow here
The ideas gathered thus far are :
- use the we weber blind tumbler -> anyone can comment on that one? Not being a US citizen, I am concerned about ordering this one if I don't knows this is the best solution out there
- Grind into the portafilter directly -> which solution has proven valuable though?

2) once I poured the grounded coffee as described above into the Portalfilter it is not evenly distributed.
Ideas I have on this:
- use a WDT -> can you recommend anything that is fitting in nicely with the overall setup?

3) I am looking to get not only a leaner workflow, but also a leaner set up as my partner is not too crazy about the grinding machine, the knock out tray, etc lying around. Is there a better way to organize that looks nice, as in fits nicely with the design of the ascaso (in white)?

Cheers in advance

HH

#2: Post by HH »

I use the tall Decent portafilter stand that bolts directly onto the base of the Niche, as well as a Decent funnel. They work really well and I find they give better results for me than using the shaker as long as I WDT, whilst optimising workflow.

jgood

#3: Post by jgood »

I use the Niche cup and then a tamp through funnel which I place upside down on the Niche cup - then put portafilter on top and flip over. Remove Niche cup and stir and tamp lightly through the funnel, then remove funnel and tamp firmly. It sounds more involved than it is. Pretty clean work flow.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

I ground directly into a "bare" basket (not in the handle) with a funnel. Some of this is habit. It allows me to rotate the basket a bit under the spout to get a little bit more evenness to start, rather than a mountain. Ridgeless baskets or removing the PF handle spring make it easier. You can grind into the basket in the handle too. The Decent accessories are, in my opinion, very overpriced and often of inferior performance to other options. I like the MATOW funnel as it doesn't sit into the basket, but up on top of its rim. It is relatively heavy and I didn't find that I had any problem disturbing it with any of my grinders. I found it at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08773SNB3. There are probably other sources of ones similar through regional or Asian suppliers.

I prefer the LeverCraft or JKim Makes WDT tools as not only do they do a good job homogenizing the grinds, but the bed ends up being pretty level without much effort. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1185798417 ... t-assembly for one source of the JKim Makes tool. There are copies out there, but I prefer to send my business to the innovators -- LeverCraft for the tool itself and JKim for figuring out how to produce one that could be easily mailed in an envelope.

Past that, before a level tamp, there isn't much else I'd recommend. I'd definitely avoid leveling tools and any tapping that you don't need to do.

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

Bare basket too. I grind into the supplied cup, put the basket on, turn, cocktail shake, take the cup off, and use the tamper to nutate and tamp.
Jim Schulman

Wondercough (original poster)

#6: Post by Wondercough (original poster) »

Thank you!
Can you link the wdt you use?
When you say you get better results from using the stand + funnel + wdt vs the shaker, what do you base this on? On the workflow simplicity or what exactly are you defining as the outcome?

#7: Post by Wondercough (original poster) »

Thx a lot Jeff!

The matow funnel looks nice! It is not magnetic though, right?

HH

#8: Post by HH »

Wondercough wrote:Thank you!
Can you link the wdt you use?
When you say you get better results from using the stand + funnel + wdt vs the shaker, what do you base this on? On the workflow simplicity or what exactly are you defining as the outcome?
I'm not sure I'm allowed to link to a specific product purchase page, but I use the Decent WDT tool which costs something like $30.

As a counterpoint to Jeff, I have found the quality of the Decent accessories very good. They will frequently have sales of cosmetically imperfect accessories and I tend to get mine then. I honestly can't say I can see a flaw in my tamper or WDT tool, which I got for 30% off the list price. I agree they are relatively expensive, but buying during a sale diminishes this somewhat.

By using the Niche stand the workflow is much faster, as I don't have to sit there holding the portafilter under the funnel or shaking the dosing cup to disperse clumps. I always found when using the dosing cup that the coffee bed would be uneven and mounded up on one side of the basket, which would mean I would inevitably need to WDT on top of using the dosing cup. This seemed like an unnecessary step so I cut it out of my workflow, and I haven't noticed an increase in channeling or worsening taste in the cup since doing so.

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

It is not magnetic -- It says on "just fine" for me. Magnets can work loose or not be seated well leaving a gap between the basket rim and the funnel.

#10: Post by Wondercough (original poster) »

HH wrote:I use the tall Decent portafilter stand that bolts directly onto the base of the Niche, as well as a Decent funnel. They work really well and I find they give better results for me than using the shaker as long as I WDT, whilst optimising workflow.
Are you saying that you don't have to do WDT with the stand? If, you have to use one, can you link which one it is please?

And I am seeing this correctly that one has to drill a hole in the decent stand before being able to use it? It's not like an out of the box thing?