Niche Zero vs Baratza Encore ESP for filter coffee? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bgn

#21: Post by bgn »

baldheadracing wrote:Amazon or eBay. I picked up my Fuji-Royal R-440 used from rakuten in Japan (like eBay), but shipping can be expensive - I had a coupon for free shipping from the freight forwarder (buyee.jp).

Also, avenue18.ca in Richmond sells the Yang-Chia/Flying Horse version, which is supposed to be one of the better Chinese clones. They don't sell the machine online, but if they have stock, you could pick one up the next time you're on the mainland. I'd suggest checking which model burrset they are importing as there are a few options. I have no experience with the grinder. https://avenue18.ca/Accessories/Paypal/ ... 20mill.htm
Thank you! That's really helpful.
The pictured burrs with the Flying Horse at Avenue18, is that what "ghost" burrs look like. For some reason I thought ghosts had knobs instead of knife-like cutting edge. But this is all completely new to me.

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#22: Post by baldheadracing »

bgn wrote:Thank you! That's really helpful.
The pictured burrs with the Flying Horse at Avenue18, is that what "ghost" burrs look like. For some reason I thought ghosts had knobs instead of knife-like cutting edge. But this is all completely new to me.
Those are not ghost burrs, which is why I said to check what burrs are on the grinders that they are actually importing. Here is the manufacturer's website (choose language at the top of the page): http://www.feima.com.tw/index.php?route ... path=61_62

Inexpensive Chinese Ghost Burr Grinder
Fuji Royal R-440 vs Yang Chia 207 N
Flying Eagle CM300AU - A Fuji Royale variant
Note the Fuji-Royal burrs in the video below are the older cast version, not the current machined version.
FWIW, I think that you get what you pay for. To me, the best value in ghost burr grinders - and brew grinders period - is the Orphan Espresso Apex, but that's a manual (hand) grinder.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#23: Post by Milligan »

I bought one of the Fuji-style grinders for a relative and installed the burrs Lance recommended in it. I think all-in with the burrs it was around $150. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with it long term. I'd want to go up the ladder to a better quality Fuji-style grinder. I looked for a real Royal for awhile but had a hard time finding one. I think the Urbanic is pretty stout, but for the price I'd just go with a Fellow Ode at that point. I really enjoy my Ode with SSP burrs for filter.

I've done a side by side with the Niche vs the Ode SSP for pour over. Night and day difference. The Niche was harsh. I would never buy a Niche for drip. It can do it in a pinch but it should be purchased primarily as an espresso grinder.

I think Fellow had discounted the Ode v1 for awhile down to around $240. That is a steal IMO.

cactus_farmer (original poster)

#24: Post by cactus_farmer (original poster) »

So the Niche Zero would be on par with the Baratza Encore ESP for filter?

If so, since I do mainly filter with occasional espresso, I could save the extra cash and get the Encore ESP instead of the Niche?

Jonk

#25: Post by Jonk »

IMO:

Baratza M2 > Niche for filter.
Niche > Baratza M2 for espresso.

jaybelknap

#26: Post by jaybelknap »

ohwhen wrote:I would disagree with this. I had a Virtuoso (comparable to the Encore ESP since they use the same burrs) and got lots of great filter cups. I use a 1Zpresso JX-pro when I want a conical filter profile now but the hand grinder is only marginally better than the Virtuoso was.
I would also agree as I have used the Virtuoso Preciso model (only difference being the extra micro adjustment) for over 10 years. Chemex were very enjoyable along with press pot brews.