Niche Zero: Uneven Burr Chamber Wear

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pw92

#1: Post by pw92 »

Hi HB community!

When cleaning my Niche Zero for the first time, I noticed that there is an uneven wear pattern in the chamber housing the burrs.

I have attached a picture. You can see the wear pattern across the chamber, 'behind' the inner burr from the perspective of the camera. No such pattern appears on the opposite side.

I was wondering if other Niche owners have noticed this?

My worry is that this may indicate the outer burr is not centred in the chamber, and therefore may not be aligned with the inner burr.

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

I would contact Niche as they have been super fast & responsive to a couple questions and a minor issue I experienced with my new Zero.
No Espresso = Depresso

pw92 (original poster)

#3: Post by pw92 (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion - I did end up hearing from James who said it wasn't cause for concern but also was not sure what the cause would be. I was interested to hear if others had this issue as well and/or may be able to shed more light as to what's happening

splashalot

#4: Post by splashalot »

Mine is exactly the same. I too cleaned it for the first time when fitting the NFC disk recently and noticed it, although my scuff mark is a bit larger and higher in the chamber. It appears to be burn marks. I tried removing it, but no go.

In regards to James from Niche's comments - surely this can't be acceptable? And if they don't know the cause, how do they know it's not a problem?

walt_in_hawaii

#5: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

I don't have an NZ, so I have no dog in this fight. What is the chamber made of? Discoloration in a synthetic material, if that's what it is, isn't necessarily a sign of a problem. As to what is 'acceptable', I would respectfully suggest that if it ain't broke, it's not time to complain yet. It is a grinder, not a pair of Jimmy Choo's. Keep an eye on it and try to figure out what is causing it.

aloha,
walt