Niche Zero: To RDT or Not to RDT

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LewBK

#1: Post by LewBK »

I see a lot of conflicting messages here on whether it's good or safe to RDT with a Niche, so I'm putting it out as a separate thread. What do you think? Does RDT help or does it just gunk up your grinder or does it both help with retention and gunk up your grinder simultaneously?

Rice Bowl

#2: Post by Rice Bowl »

IDK if their stance is still anti-RDT, but early on DaveC as well as Niche advised not using RDT. Static should abate overtime as the burrs continue to season. If static is still an issue, I'd probably examine what the humidity level your home/dwelling is at. Even in a relatively dry place like northern Colorado I never felt the need to RDT with my Niche.

dndrich

#3: Post by dndrich »

I have a new Niche, and it is not seasoned yet. For espresso I have no static issues. But I also grind fairly course for drip coffee. I have to RDT for that or it is really a mess! It helps enormously for that.

jfrescki

#4: Post by jfrescki »

I didn't realize they were aginast it. I use it b/c without there's always static and small retention. For me it's the terrible static. I've been using mine since August and it hasn't abated.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

jdrobison

#5: Post by jdrobison »

They advise against it, saying that it's counterproductive to how they designed the machine to clear the grinds.

How long are you letting it run after you hear the final bean ground? It usually takes mine another 10 seconds or so until I see no more grinds landing.

Legend_217

#6: Post by Legend_217 »

Big NO. Water will discolor your burrs

dndrich

#7: Post by dndrich »

I believe Niche has come out and said that RDT is fine. Just keep the water down to a minimum. There are many who have done RDT with the Niche apparently with no issues. I do not find it necessary at all for standard espresso. My Niche is new, and expect after break in that will be even better. But for drip coffee I have chaff all over the counter and the grinder without RDT. So, I am using it with great success. Remember that the beans have some moisture in them already. The very slight additional moisture should not cause rusting issues. Just don't soak them!

ohwhen

#8: Post by ohwhen »

Legend_217 wrote:Big NO. Water will discolor your burrs
Does this affect grind quality, burr longevity, or anything else? Discolored burrs inside a machine don't seem like a big deal.

jfrescki

#9: Post by jfrescki »

jdrobison wrote: How long are you letting it run after you hear the final bean ground? It usually takes mine another 10 seconds or so until I see no more grinds landing.
I let it run quite a while until after I see no more grinds exiting. But that's not the problem. Without water there's so much static in the cup that I can't get the coffee out of grinds cup.

Here's the mess I get without RDT. 5 months after I bought it so about 10 lb of coffee.

Edit: With RDT
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

LewBK (original poster)

#10: Post by LewBK (original poster) »

It seems like temperature and humidity inside your home play a role: