Niche Zero rotations

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cajunbaseball

#1: Post by cajunbaseball »

Just got a Niche Zero and after calibrating noticed that I can turn it anti clockwise four or five times. Is this advisable? Any reason not to do so?

I'm trying to get Moka Pot grind and most experts advise "a little coarser than espresso." At 42 (out of 50) I was getting close to the right grind size for Moka Pot. According to the markings, I'm past filter coffee territory and into "coarse."

My inclination is to ignore the writing and spin the dial until my coffee tastes good. Other thoughts or advise?

PS- I got mine for $1,000 on Ebay. Genuine, in the box. There are still auctions on Ebay. I thought there was a shortage?

GregoryJ
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by GregoryJ »

You can go coarser than the scale, no problem. Many people who regularly need coarse grinds put a sticker or other marker at 180 deg to the silver dot.

There is a shortage getting them from Niche for retail price, but there are definitely people who bought one that are willing to resell them for a "handling fee".

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
cajunbaseball (original poster)

#3: Post by cajunbaseball (original poster) »

GregoryJ wrote:"Many people who regularly need coarse grinds put a sticker or other marker at 180 deg to the silver dot."

I don't understand.

GregoryJ
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by GregoryJ »

A full rotation is 360 deg, so you can put a little dot or something opposite from the silver marker on the black ring. Then you can use this as your marker for coarse grinds.

cajunbaseball (original poster)

#5: Post by cajunbaseball (original poster) »

Ok.

50 was good Moka Pot this am. Probably need to go a little further anti-clockwise.

Jonk

#6: Post by Jonk »

42-50 should be a lot coarser than espresso if it's calibrated correctly. Normally you'd stay below 30 or so.