Niche Zero: Question about grind adjustment

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Simon345

#1: Post by Simon345 »

On my Niche I find that my morning grind adjustment is in fractions of 1 mark on the grind adjustment ring. For example I find myself approximating 0.5 or 0.25 of a mark up or down to keep my shots consistent day to day for the same bag of coffee.

For anyone that has the Niche is this your experience as well?

I would really prefer a grind adjustment method where I am moving up or down in whole marks. If this is the way everyone finds the grinder has anyone found a modification that changes the grind adjustment?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

The marks are just references. "Stepped" grinders with actual clicks are often a disaster to work with for espresso. The angular change to burr distance is governed by the pitch of the threads. Too fine and they can bind or are just too fragile. It's not simmering you can change.

Operationally, I work in half-mark increments on the Niche. That seems to be sufficient for pressure-driven profiles. With flow-driven profiles in the DE1 (very different than a flow paddle), finer than half a mark I'll adjust with 0.1 to 0.3 g in dose (tenths).

Simon345 (original poster)

#3: Post by Simon345 (original poster) »

Thanks Jeff. This may be the start of some upgradeitis.....

Does anyone know if the current Kafatek grinders allow a finer level of control where you aren't adjusting grinds to fractions of a grind mark?

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

There are plenty of people that use the Niche Zero, including myself, that don't find adjustment challenges with its system. Changes of 0.1 or 0.2 g are tiny, smaller than the tolerance of most dose-measured grinders and those of many who weigh each dose. I can dial in a pressure-driven profile (like that of virtually any production espresso machine out there except for the DE1, including those with "flow" paddles or valves) to a very enjoyable balance with 1/2-mark increments on the Niche Zero.

I'd only consider another grinder if you want different flavors in the cup. I'd also read carefully the opinions of how easy it is to dial in a Niche Zero as compared to some of the modern flats. At least as I read the reports and opinions, you're going to need that finer scale with a modern flat.

MB

#5: Post by MB »

If you assemble the top burr without the bean flow reduction disk (the plastic thingy under the bolt), the grinder has a wider band of forgiveness. You might notice a taste difference, so you will have to see if you like it the same or better. This was how the original models shipped.
LMWDP #472

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by blondica73 »

Simon345 wrote:Thanks Jeff. This may be the start of some upgradeitis.....

Does anyone know if the current Kafatek grinders allow a finer level of control where you aren't adjusting grinds to fractions of a grind mark?
I had the niche zero and now have the monolith MC4, technically both have an infinite amount of control. The marks on both grinders are for reference, thus the adjustment is similar.

Simon345 (original poster)

#7: Post by Simon345 (original poster) »

Thanks so that sounds like you have some first hand knowledge on both grinders. On the Monolith, do you find the resolution (for lack of a better term similar to the Niche? By that I mean are you commonly moving around by half marks on the dial or is the thread fine enough that in practice full steps gives you the result you need in the cup?