Niche Zero not pushing out ground coffee - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Pressino
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Pressino »

I don't have a Niche but the spindle shaft as you said is clearly off axis with the grind chamber. Is it possible that the motor itself has slipped from its mounting brackets and thus tilted the spindle? This might occur if the grind chamber is not fixed solidly to the motor. Anyhow, I've read reports about the Niche motor mount screws loosening on some folk's grinders. Just an idea...as the previous poster said Niche's warranty should cover the problem, whatever is causing it. :cry:

cafeIKE

#12: Post by cafeIKE »

It's possible the motor is improperly mounted.

Put on the burr and insert the key, rotate the burr 180°
Does the sweep contact on the same side or the other.

If the same side, the motor is mounted incorrectly. If you are handy, you may be able to effect a repair. Check w Niche for authorization.

If the sweep contacts the other side of the chamber, the shaft is bent. Replacement required.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by mgwolf »

It's a brand-new grinder and non-functional. Why would you want to try to repair it rather than get a replacement that works? Niche is fairly responsive about problems.

K7

#14: Post by K7 »

This seems like a more severe case of NZs with alignment issue.

Niche Zero: Uneven Burr Chamber Wear

cafeIKE

#15: Post by cafeIKE »

mgwolf wrote:It's a brand-new grinder and non-functional. Why would you want to try to repair it rather than get a replacement that works? Niche is fairly responsive about problems.
  1. Time
  2. No guarantee of a perfect 2nd unit
  3. Education as to build
  4. Gotta know why & how stuff works or not*

* I'm a sad bugger who took the telephone apart in about 1958 to see how it worked

martinlhoff (original poster)

#16: Post by martinlhoff (original poster) »

NZ support is suggesting i partially disassemble and look at some bolts for motor alignment. This is in line with what others have posted.

As a computer sw and hw geek, and handled electronics manufacturing - i think it's 6 screws total. I could throw a man tantrum and ship a big heavy box back to London to have it fixed there and shipped back... but I'll try to fix it myself first.

Let's see how it goes and as someone commented, i might learn something along the way!

#17: Post by martinlhoff (original poster) »

Sorted! It was difficult to remove the top casing due to the misaligned motor & shaft. In fact there's a good teardown video on yt that helped. The motor was slightly out of place. I don't need to unplug the board or anything, just reseat it on the support bolts. Reassembly was easy and we're off to the races.

#18: Post by martinlhoff (original poster) »

Notes for anyone having the same issue.

Here's the teardown video
And this is how the motor looks when it's well aligned - the edge of the motor is roughly aligned with the PCB. So these pics are _after_ I reseated it. Before, it was turned and clearly those were not aligned. https://photos.app.goo.gl/p8Y1kWRiAaaKLLXA7

Now that it's aligned, the burrs spin centered. Before they spun just a tad off-center. I had spotted that, but had told myself "can't be that the burrs are _so_ out of alignment, must be the plastic disk is screwed a bit offset".

#19: Post by martinlhoff (original poster) »

After a grinding a dozen or so doses - it's all working pretty well. American Beauty dialled in at 12, B&W Classic at 14.

Burrs are still settling. It's not as "clean" as the flat burr grinder I had before (Eureka Mignon Notte) but damn I can dial in easily, and switch beans on the fly.

DavidB

#20: Post by DavidB »

OP, thanks for sharing the teardown video! I can see this coming in handy one day.