Niche Zero grinder - Page 100

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ash4889

#991: Post by ash4889 »

I just got some good advice from someone on YouTube, He said the coffee's coming out too fast I should lower my grinder setting to finer.

jasonmolinari

#992: Post by jasonmolinari »

I also got mine 4 days early on my birthday on 3/21!

Been using it since. I love the workflow. I have both my vario and niche with ceramic set up side by side and I've been doing side by side shots with the same blend keeping time and weight extraction the same on both.

So far they're pretty close to my palate. There are smal differences which are neither better or worse, but I'm happy with my purchase. Grind adjustment and feedback is great on the niche and the vario will be changed to steel burrs and brought to work for drip coffee.

2 thumbs up so far.

theswede

#993: Post by theswede »

Hi,

Have a budget of roughly 600Euro and have been looking at Niche, currently I have an ascaso i2 (I believe)to go with my expo bar leva double boiler. Is it worth to upgrade? And is it an upgrade? Today I do single dosing but wouldn't mind having direct dose.

Which are my options, should I go for it and what do I get then or should I save the money for something else?

theswede

#994: Post by theswede »

Or another thought should I go OE pharos 2?

DaveC

#995: Post by DaveC »

theswede wrote:Hi,

Have a budget of roughly 600Euro and have been looking at Niche, currently I have an ascaso i2 (I believe)to go with my expo bar leva double boiler. Is it worth to upgrade? And is it an upgrade? Today I do single dosing but wouldn't mind having direct dose.
I tested both models of Ascaso years ago...it's a huge upgrade over the grinder you have.

Mrboots2u

#996: Post by Mrboots2u »

theswede wrote:Or another thought should I go OE pharos 2?
Do you want to hand grind > yes/no.
Are you happy to faff around getting the grinds out of a Pharos.
There in lies your answer.
Perhaps start a thread asking for some ideas as to what will be a good fit for you.

theswede

#997: Post by theswede »

If handgrinding does not take more than 40 sec then I have no problem, just want to get as good result as possible within my monetary constraint. HG-1 also looks sweet but is far too expensive

alexno

#998: Post by alexno replying to theswede »

I can't tell a difference in the cup between my Pharos and my Zero. But manual grinding of lighter roasts is tiresome.

rittem1

#999: Post by rittem1 »

theswede wrote:If handgrinding does not take more than 40 sec then I have no problem, just want to get as good result as possible within my monetary constraint. HG-1 also looks sweet but is far too expensive
Tomas. I went directly from a Pharos to the Niche. Just the physical act of grinding *might* take 40 seconds depending on dose and roast level but it is everything else that adds time. I had to utilize rdt to get almost zero retention. I would hold a small glass cup over the aperture and shake vigorously to get all the grinds out. Alexno is right about lighter roasts. I found a few light roasts that were borderline impossible to turn and when I could it resulted in shoulder pain. If you never steer towards light roasts then that won't be an issue. Grind adjustment is annoying with Pharos. If your budget is truly 600 Euros and you don't mind going up to your budget I would strongly suggest the Niche.
LMWDP #517

ash4889

#1000: Post by ash4889 »

Since starting this expensive coffee hobby of mine, I have been through a bodum 3 baratza and 2 compaks.
Not one of those machines have so been as good as my new Niche Zero. know I sound like a advertisement for them but it's just an amazing machine and I am totally happy with it