Niche Zero grinder - Page 96

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thefisch6

Postby thefisch6 » Mar 08, 2019, 7:52 pm

cimbalino wrote:Cheap ebay tumbler, just got it today.

<image>

Happen to have a link to that listing? I'm also curious to hear how it works for you.

cimbalino

Postby cimbalino » Mar 09, 2019, 4:20 am

Sure, here it is.

sweaner
Supporter ♡

Postby sweaner » Mar 09, 2019, 10:38 am

Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » Mar 09, 2019, 3:06 pm

Just pulled a couple shots and am trying to understand - What process have you guys settled on that has the most consistent shot?

If I dose straight into the niche cup - and then invert it straight into my portafilter, there's excess static in the cup and hard to get everything out. Not to mention, it's hard to WDT the grounds in my portafilter and I think that does more harm than good.

Next I tried grinding straight into the portafilter and I think my dose was too large and I had static fines or grounds going everywhere towards the end.

I'm thinking that aluminum dosing ring would be the best solution, it provides an easy way to catch all grinds and properly perform WDT with minimal mess. All that said, sometimes I wonder if WDT is actually beneficial.

Thanks for advice!

jchung
Supporter ♡

Postby jchung » replying to dale_cooper » Mar 09, 2019, 3:47 pm

I use a custom printed PF stand + custom Funnel with my NZ. I grind directly into the PF with the funnel, give it a little side to side shake, tap on my tamping mat, groom the top with an OCD like tool, then tamp. You can see my posts earlier in this thread.

Simong

Postby Simong » Mar 09, 2019, 4:03 pm

I grind into the niche cup - wdt with the Londinium tool,
collar over portafilter and then quickly invert.
Ive bought the copy blind shaker of ebay too, but cant seem to get any improvement using it- probably my fault.

TheN5OfOntario

Postby TheN5OfOntario » Mar 11, 2019, 9:10 am

Here's a new Niche Zero review and subsequent comment thread:

Niche Zero Grinder Review

hbn

Postby hbn » Mar 11, 2019, 9:38 am

sweaner wrote:Here is a link for US customers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Dosin ... SwhX5b6Z9Q

Another one from China, in black, $4 cheaper https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dosing-Rings-Barista-Coffee-Maker-Accessories-for-58MM-Coffee-Powder-Tamper-Cafe/163556174075

jchung wrote:I use a custom printed PF stand + custom Funnel with my NZ. I grind directly into the PF with the funnel, give it a little side to side shake, tap on my tamping mat, groom the top with an OCD like tool, then tamp. You can see my posts earlier in this thread.

Almost forgot to thank you for your designs... thanks! I printed your 58mm breville funnel and besides reducing the LUGL value a little so it would be more snug, it was a perfect fit for a gaggia portafilter. Also plan on printing the NZ portafilter stand soon

new2espresso

Postby new2espresso » Mar 13, 2019, 10:04 pm

Sorry to be off topic, but has anyone used the dosing funnels on breville portafilters? I'm wondering how they fit before ordering one.
Thanks!
Kind regards,
Karan

liquidmetal

Postby liquidmetal » Mar 15, 2019, 10:37 am

Finally got my dispatch notice!