Niche Zero grinder - Page 82

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
tglodjo

#811: Post by tglodjo »

sabman wrote:Sweet portafilter setup! Have you by chance tried NZ for brew grinds (Chemex, V60), too? I'm trying to assess its capabilities on the coarser settings.
This is getting to be a long thread, but if you check back a bit, a few of us reported our impressions. For me, I love using it for pour over and coarse grinding.

sabman

#812: Post by sabman replying to tglodjo »

Thank you! This is exactly the type of input I was looking for. And I agree...a very long thread.

Advertisement
ash4889

#813: Post by ash4889 »

I just think it's amazing the amount of people intrested in this grinder, But all the information you want do a Bing search and you can find videos on it.
Everyday I check my status to see if I have been upgraded for delivery, its maddening to wait especially since I dont have a good grinder.

thefisch6

#814: Post by thefisch6 »

sabman wrote:Thank you! This is exactly the type of input I was looking for. And I agree...a very long thread.
Haha you should check out the comparable thread over on CoffeeForumsUK. Hundreds of pages. But lots of good info. I've done tons of reading and heard little but positive feedback though at basically all grind levels.

TheN5OfOntario

#815: Post by TheN5OfOntario »

I'd love to see a distribution graph TBH. The Vario seems to produce a lot of fines at fine settings, which I'm currently using. I wonder how the Niche compares in that regard...

cimbalino

#816: Post by cimbalino »

Ever wonder what's inside a Niche? :mrgreen:

TheN5OfOntario

#817: Post by TheN5OfOntario »

cimbalino wrote:Ever wonder what's inside a Niche? :mrgreen:
I assume the plastic bit on top is the gearbox?

Advertisement
cimbalino

#818: Post by cimbalino »

Yes, a beautiful crafted plastic planetary gearbox with a state of the art sintered bronze bearing :P

TheN5OfOntario

#819: Post by TheN5OfOntario »

cimbalino wrote:Yes, a beautiful crafted plastic planetary gearbox with a state of the art sintered bronze bearing :P

<image>
To be fair there's still far less plastic involved there than in my Vario and that grinder has been solid for 6 years now...

cimbalino

#820: Post by cimbalino »

It's not about the amount of plastic, because there is very little plastic involved in the Niche construction. It's more about where it was used, this gearbox has a lot of play in it if you grab the top of the shaft with 2 fingers it deflects significantly. But sure such simple device used in a home environment should last a long time.